Cracked Transom!!

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So my neibor gets his boat out of the shop last weekend and takes it out. He then tells me today as i was tweeking with my boat that he has a crack in the back that was letting water in it. I take alook at it and looks like the shop filled this crack with sillycone!!! :confused: I then lean on the outboard motor for a sec and the crack gets bigger. Bottom line is when you shake the motor it really moves and makes the transom look like jello. Funny thing is this boat shop states they replaced the transom but i dont think thats the case. There is no evidence of the back of the transom being cut or anything, just the top piece of metel thats under the motor has sillycone on it . This post isnt really a question as its more of i dont know what that shop was thinking. He went fishing out 20 miles in the gulf on sunday and im amazed he came back with the motor still attached to the boat. <br /><br />Its a good thing he came to me cause he had resin mixed up and was just going to "seal" the crack. <br /><br />Im simply amazed!!!<br /><br />later, <br /><br />Big-E

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: Cracked Transom!!

I think I would be getting ahold of someone at that shop for some answers.

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh yea, He called him this afternoon and one of his guys will come out tomorrow to look at the boat. I still can't belive they let the boat outa there yard that way..

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just tryin to make a buck.....what else is new

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

What did they charge your friend and what kind of a boat does he have?<br /><br />Except for the flexing movement of the motor it is possible that they did do "something" to the transom. You do not necessarily see much on a transom rebuild as the exterior is not usually cut. The work is done from the inside.<br /><br />You gave him good advice.

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They charged him $3800 bucks to redo transom and hang a vintage 1973 johnson 135 hp on it. I think he got scammed and told him so today. He states the shop rebuilt the motor and has no hours on it. Kinda funny that when i looked at it the case hasn't been cracked since 73. The boat looks like a 70's trihull ~18 feet long (looks like a tank). You can see they cut the cap at the splashwell and glassed it together so horrible words can't describe the nasty mess they did with a cloth matt. It was rinkled and folded and nasty looking. I need to take a pic tomorrow and post it here. <br /><br />This "shop" also installed a new perminate gas tank under the spashwell w/out any mounting hardware. I think he can file a valid lawsuit if they do not do him right on it. <br /><br />SoLittle: last time i did a transom i cut the gelcoat out on the outside and the cap on top and got all the nasty old wood outa there. Then put my new wood and glassed it in then placed the skin on top and filled the line. Could hardly tell i did any work. <br /><br />I had to give him good advice, he had 3 kids on his boat on sunday and stated he was ankel deep in water by the time he got back due to the water comming in and the bilge pump quite working about half way back. <br /><br />I have my work cut out with this guy<br /><br />later, <br /><br />Big-E

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. The last transom I had replaced, in a shop, cost me $2700.00 and I was able to watch the progress and process by visiting the shop at various times throughout the work.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Big-E, don't get a big head or anything but sounds to me like you might have saved some lives! attaboy!<br /><br /> :)

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

The transom on my bass boat did the jello thing before I had it rebuilt. It cost me $1500 and the guy took pictures and saved the old wood and glass for me to see. Needless to say, he did a FINE job on it and it dosent flex anymore. Big-E, I think your neighbor got took.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have my work cut out with this guy <br />
Big E, The guy I boat with is like that and I am the original problem. I introduced him to boating and sometimes think I really screwed up. Now I HAVE to babysit him. Be careful what you get yourself into. I like helping people, but I have to help him with everything from his bow eye to his stern eye, plus his trailer. Last year, he got a flat, he had a spare, but no air in it. He couldn't understand why he would need a different trailer ball mount when he bought a boat with a higher trailer tongue. He dragged anchor once. Next trip he shows up with an anchor big enough for a 40 footer for his 21 Maxum! I have to change his propellers, his oil, service his wife (nah) . . . but you get the point. I worry if I don't help him he is going to kill somebody or even worse mess up one of my trips. :eek:

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What's the name of the shop? You should post it so other boaters will beware.

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys, <br /> Well I think this guy is in for a huge disaster and it’s going to be his own fault. I pulled boat into driveway to get it ready for this weekend and I saw him mixing fiberglass. He glassed/resin the crack and states it will be good enough. I told him one day that motor and half your transom will end up at the bottom of the gulf with a sinking boat. My other neighbor agrees with me but this guy will not listen. I told him do not take it out but he's getting it ready for this weekend. I just hope he doesn’t take any kids with him like last week. He's reason for doing this is this "shop" will take another 6 months to fix it and he doesn’t want to loose another weekend out in the gulf. Found out this shop isn’t really a shop. He feased up today its just a shade tree boat mechanic. Nothing wrong with a shade tree boat mechanic since I pretty much am one but I know I will prolly feel guilty when something happens to this guy. Don’t know what I can do to stop him from getting innocent people who don’t know any better hurt. <br /><br />Later, <br /><br />Big-E

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

For the sake of his family, you can ask him to give you his boating plan and who is going to be onboard for this weekend and tell him that he should get intouch with you at a certain time. Just to make sure that he is OK if not you are going to call the Coast guard on him... The coast gurad can do a boat inspection and check his boat out and if found unfit for boating they can stop him from going out. You have done your civil duty then.

fireman57

Captain

Why don't you offer to redo his transom for 1500.00 over the next week. Obviously the shop won't be doing it, he evidently has money to burn and no sense, and you would be putting money in your pocket and maybe saving him and his family from a huge disaster.

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fireman57: i told him id help him do his transom over the week since i work at night doing tech support. He has $0.00 money in his pocket right now to even buy the material's. <br /><br />beezee28: I have asked him for his boating plan and to leave it with me when he goes out on sunday. I'm going out on sunday as well but id be unable to get into contact with him. He has no VHF or a cell phone and he enjoys going 20 + miles out into the gulf. I told him to at least buy a epirb but his responce was "I dont have that kind of money to be spending on that". I spoke to my dad about this and he said there is nothing really more then you could do. I never thought of calling the coastguard on him before he goes out. <br /><br />thanks guys, <br /><br />Big-E