Need Input on New Boat Purchase... (First Time Boat Owner)

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello All,<br /><br />This will be my first boat, My fauther owned a boat threw my childhood and teenage years, so i have been on/around boats, but never owned one myself.<br /><br />Anyway I have pretty much narrowed the boat i am looking for down to one of the following:<br /><br />1. Lowe FS175 Fish & Ski<br />2. Crestliner Sport Angler 1650<br />3. Tracker Targa 17 Sport<br /><br />I know those are all 3 pretty different boats..<br /><br />We plan on doing about 80% fishing, 12% Tubing, and 8% crusing. The major factor for us is that about 60% of the time there will only be 2-3 people in the boat fishing... but the other 40% of the time, we will probably have 4-6 people.<br /><br />All of the boats above can hold 6 people, thats not the problem.. But obviously when you put all the seats in, the deck is very crowded..<br /><br />Which is why i am seriously leaning toward the Lowe Fish & Ski because of the 2 Jump seats in the back, that would allow us 2 seats when we need them, but fold out of the way when we don't need them.<br /><br />But i just wanted to get some insight from others who may know more about any of thease boats individually... Being i have not owned or operated any of thease brands or models, i don't know if one is manufacturered better then another.<br /><br />From what i have been reading, it seams Tracker's (Though to my suprise) seam to be known as a 'Cheap' boat, and not the best in quality, Crestliner seams to be one of the better rated both in quality, and comfort, and i haven't been able to find much about Lowe at all...<br /><br />I'm Planing on powering which ever boat I end up with, with a 90HP motor.. I have not yet decided if i want to save $500 and get an OptiMax, or just get the 4-Stroke for $500 more..<br /><br />Thanks for your input..<br /><br />-TheChad

tommays

Admiral
Re: Need Input on New Boat Purchase... (First Time Boat Owner)

i would say at the times you have more than 4 people that size boat is going to be way to crowded to be really safe<br /><br /><br />tommays

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the 17' seams plenty big.. The Only time we would have 6 Adults would be if we were crusing.<br /><br />Most of the time we will probably have 2-4 adults, and 1-2 Kids (Ages 8-12).<br /><br />4-people in the back, 2 people (The Kids) in the front, on the deck.<br /><br />The most we'd ever have if we were fishing would be 4 people. (Adults and/or Kids)<br /><br />I've walked on all thease boats, and they seam plenty big enough for this use.<br /><br />-TheChad

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I think you'll be happy with any of the 3. Personally, I'd go with the Crestliner 1750, but that's only b/c I'm not as familiar with Tracker & Lowe, but you're right those fold away seats are nice, if Lowe's are nice boats go with it.<br /><br />The folks who boat on the ocean tend to forget that us smaller freshwater lake guys don't have even close to the amount of waves, or other issues, that they have to deal with, so our requirements are vastly different from theirs. (Simple things like, I can always see the shore on all sides of me, so no compass or fancy navigation systems are needed.)<br /><br />My Glastron 175 is just perfect for 7 people to hop on for a cruise around the lake. We're comfortable, safe, and enjoy the trip, and that 1ft. wake wave that hits us (which is as big as waves get here), amazingly doesn't swamp the boat.<br /><br />Would I want to spend 8 hours like that...probably not, but we don't use the boat for an all day cruise down the coast or even a river for that matter. We ski, fish, and tour the lake. <br /><br />Pick which one will suit your primary needs, and go from there.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with tommays on the size issue. So I would rule out the Crestliner 1650 as too small. Which leaves the Lowe FS175 and Tracker Targa 17sc. That comes down to whither full windshield or not. On chilly mornings a big windshield can be a wonderful thing.<br /><br />As for Tracker not being the best quality, that is mostly about the standard Trackers. The Targa series is Tracker's better line, I would be happy with a Targa.<br /><br />Dunno which would be better for trolling, Optimax or 4S. Search around and you may find some comment on this.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

My brother in law has a 6 year old Crestliner Fish n Ski. It is a VERY nice boat. Has a Merc 115 on it. A few posters here on iboats have said that the quality has slipped a little since Brunswick bought them, if so that's a shame because his boat is flawless.<br /><br />Keep us updated on what you decide.<br /><br />Jeff

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah the Crestliner Fish n Ski's are nice boats, we were looking at those too... But they are almost $30,000!<br /><br />That's too much for me.<br /><br />-TheChad

txswinner

Banned

Chad, First boat, buy a fairly new used boat if you can find. Have compression check done on motor and make close visual check on all exterior parts. The guys on this chatline will also give you tons of great advice and save you a ton of money. After you find out what you like then look to jump into the big bucks. luck texaswinner

txswinner

Banned

Chad, First boat, buy a fairly new used boat if you can find. Have compression check done on motor and make close visual check on all exterior parts. The guys on this chatline will also give you tons of great advice and save you a ton of money. After you find out what you like then look to jump into the big bucks. luck texaswinner

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks txswinner.<br /><br />The Used boats arn't much cheaper then a new boat, only a few thousand, and the intrest rates are higher on used boats, you also have potential problems.<br /><br />That is why i am seeking a new boat. Since I have been on/around boats for most of my life, I know that a boat is something i will use. Once i buy a boat i will keep this boat till it sinks or otherwise wears out.<br /><br />-TheChad

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by KCook:<br /> On chilly mornings a big windshield can be a wonderful thing.<br />
Seconded. A top that extends up and toward the back from your windshield is nice to have too in the midday sun or in case you get caught in a sudden downpour, or at least a bimini top.<br /><br />If you will be doing a lot of trolling, depending on your preferred trolling speed and the motor you end up with you may or may not want to add a kicker at your boat at some point, so think about that too.