2005 Glastron SX 170...?

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer
A few days ago, I just purchased a 2005 glastron SX 170 with a 150 Merc XR6. Since i have yet to get a chance to ride and test it out, i was wondering if you could give me your opinions on both the boat and engine. The boat's maximum h.p rating is 150 and i decided that it would be best to go big. what do you think i will top out at? is the engine overall a good engine? what is the best prop for this engine pitch wise? I dont think the standerd aluminum 3 blade prop is going to cut it... i plan to do a lot of cruising and high speed activites as well as fishing and water sports. I care about both top speed and acceleration as well. From my knowledge i think that a 3 blade stainless steel prop would fit best..what do you think? any info would be appreciated..thanks.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2005 Glastron SX 170...?

These are mostly questions you should have answered before you dropped the cash on a brand new boat. <br /><br />Anyway, a 17 footer with a 150 on it will have plenty of power. Should see 55-60 top end, just a guess. My dad has a 20 footer (aquasport Center console) with a 115 on it, and it just about jumps out of the water with a 14.5X19 stainless ballistic prop on it. Tops out at 40. <br /><br />Yes your best bet is likely a 3 blade stainless, though I think you will see good performance with just about any prop style you choose with that kind of power to weight ratio.<br /><br />Have fun!!

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like you want performance in all departments which is not entirely possible. You will have to find an acceptable mid-way.<br />Use the search facility and check out the many topics about type and make of props, number of blades, what pitch for what application, boat set-up etc.<br />D

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

i did get plenty of information about both the boat and engine, but wanted to hear other peoples opinions about the boat...not just a dealer who is trying in every possible way just to sell it...anyways...thanks for the information..i think id be more overall concerned with acceleration, but i dont want to lose much on top end if i switch my prop. the boat will most likly do 60-65 with the proper trim, weight, and prop, so i dont think loosing a few mph on top end will be that bg of a deal.. thanks for the info..

rwidman

Lieutenant

Do you really want to go 65 MPH in a 17' boat? That's pretty fast (and pretty risky).<br /><br />My suggestion is to get the boat and get some experience while you are breaking the engine in. Get more of a feel for how it handles and how it fits your needs before you start modifying it.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

i think that the boat will hold up just fine doing 60-65 mph. i was planning on testing out the boat to begin with before doing any modifications to the prop, but i just wanted to see what people had to say and share some of their experiences in order to help me...