Trailer Light Woes... (Fixed!)

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had a light out, side marker that didn't work and night lights (when headlights on) didn't work on one side. <br /><br />I have 2 side markers (work with headlights) I beefed up the connections and cleaned them and got that working. Had a bulb out. Had a replacement that looked Identical, but did not have the same No. Was like 1157 to 2057 or something like that. Anyway, the bulb I had worked in the working socket so that's no. 2 item fixed.<br /><br />Still don't have night lights (when headlights on)on one side at the back. I know all the bulbs work properly and I have brake and signal at that light. My trailer (Shore Landr') has bunches of connections in the wiring system. I know I have night light going to the closest connection to the tail light because there is a "T" off of that going to the side marker and that is working with night light. Will check wires and connections going from closest joiner to taillight and go from there.<br /><br />Any comments appreciated.<br /><br />Jeff

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Light Woes... (Fixed!)

The tail or running lights (night lights as you call them) operate from the brown wire in the harness. Check for voltage on that wire at the socket. If its missing, follow the wire back up the line. Either one of the junction plugs is corroded or there is a break in the wire somewhere. The brake/stop/running lights use dual filament bulbs (usually #1034 or 1157). Make sure both filaments are working. Just because you have turn signals does not mean the other filament is good. The ground at that light is also ok as you said the turn/brake function works.

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds good Smoke. My taillights are the kind with the double filament bulb and an additional bulb on the side that works with running lights and brakes. Took the working 2 bulbs from the other side and put them on the side that doesn't work and nothing. I think you are right about connection / broke wire as if it was a socket I should have running lights at the little bulb or the little filament of the other bulb, but I have nothing on either.<br /><br />What size is the wire as I may need to replace some of the brown colored one?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Jeff

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fixed!!! Broke brown wire 3" from taillight.

sangerwaker

Commander

Cool deal. Nice to have all the lights working. Gives ya nice peace of mind.