high rake prop?

parrotthead04

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking for a high rake surfacing prop for a 2001 30 horse yamaha. does anyone know where to get one? I've been looking online and don't see any props that say " high rake" or "surfacing" in their description. Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: high rake prop?

For a prop like that, being a specialty item, the only place I could suggest would be ptprop.com.<br />Most props of the size you need are not high-HP situations, and high rake is seldom needed, so there are very few built.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Are you talking about a Mod C class prop?

parrotthead04

Seaman Apprentice

I have a related post on here. "pt-35= motor too high" In that post it was said that a high rake surfacing prop might fix my prob. Just need to find one so I can look in ti it further.

Forktail

Ensign

parrotthead, the problem is with your aftermarket trim/tilt which raised your outboard 4-5". I realize the TT also set the outboard back a little, but not enough to make up for the lift. What I'm saying is that the TT is way too much for your 14'er. And you will be throwing lots of money at it trying to get her to perform right.<br /><br />A high rake angle will have the tendency to pull the stearn down and lift the bow. I suspect you will contract a porpoising problem and need additional trim. And when you're all done your performance won't be any better.<br /><br />I would suggest sending the CMC back and looking for an outboard with standard trim/tilt.

james082273

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is it not an option to bolt the unit lower on the transom?<br /><br />Is the engine the correct shaft length for the transom? The reason I ask is I had a friend with that unit and he never said anything about that problem your having....

Forktail

Ensign

In another post parrot said he mounted everything as low as it would go. The CMC is probably a good unit, but I'm not sure how well it gets along with a 14' boat.

DS-3

Cadet

Forktail has very good point. I went through 5 props, moved the motor 4 times, and still had to make trim tabs to stop the porpise. The boat is not user friendly and frankly pretty spooky hanging onto the tiller at the speeds it will run now. I had to install handicap rails in it to hang onto! Was the time and expense worth it? Now that it's over I think so but, I don't know if I would do it again.

parrotthead04

Seaman Apprentice

I already have the T and T installed and have used it for a little over a season. I would like to find a solution. I use the T and T all the time...its really nice. Just need to get the boat to work properly with it. If a high rake prop will at least help....i'll buy one. just have to find one. I'm not sure which props are classified as "high rake". I have emailed a couple prop manufacturers but have got no replies.

DS-3

Cadet

High rake only compared to the standard props that come on the smaller motors new. We're not talking about a yamaha drag prop. Do you have a 3" or 3.5" gearcase? Here are some # from PTPROP.com for a 3" case. YM30SRA3R14S-2- 10" dia 14 pitch 3 blade cupped / YM30SRA4R11S-2- 10" dia 11 pitch 4 blade cupped. What do you have on it now?

parrotthead04

Seaman Apprentice

on it now is the factory alum prop....9 7/8 x13<br /> 3 blade or a yamaha 10 1/8 x 14 ss 3 blade prop. 3" gearcase

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

PH, had a simular problem on my 16 alum after installing a jack plate. What worked the best for me (allowing me the most height) was a michigan wheel that a machinist put about 25 degrees of cup in for me. It was a 10x16. It was the perfect prop for my boat, I say was because I destroyed it and so far have not been able to duplicate it.I am running a 10x15 hustler for the time being, and would not recomend this prop. Also I need to tell you that I installed smart tabs which will make a remarkable differance to you especially, with all that weight hanging off the end of your short little boat. Mine is a tiller also so beleve what I'm saying, with you,the Mtr and that t/t unit back there, the tabs will make a heck of a differance. One of the props you have now may work after the tab install, if not take one to the prop shop for some rake.

DS-3

Cadet

That yamaha prop should be ok. You can surface the s.s. prop if you need to. Is the s.s. 14 a cupped prop? Cup tends to add "bite" maybe it needs some more? 10 1\8 x 14 should be plenty of prop on that 35hp motor.

parrotthead04

Seaman Apprentice

the s.s. prop is not cupped. Is that something a prop shop can do? what can I do to make it work? I guess i really dont understand the surfacing thing. How is raising it up going to make it bite better?