Ballpark estimate for lower unit repair requested

c903

Cadet
Appears that the lower unit of my 1974 70 HP Evinrude “Triumph” has blown (metal shavings in oil).<br /><br />I normally do my own mechanical work...to a limit, but have never repaired or rebuilt any component of an outboard, and have never had to have a shop do any work on previously owned engines.<br /><br />I know this question is not easy to answer, but if I have the lower unit completely rebuilt and all components replaced, anyone have a low and high ballpark figure of what would be a realistic quote by a shop to do the work?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Ballpark estimate for lower unit repair requested

At a repair shop, with all new components', about 4 to 5 times the value of that engine.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah you'd be better off getting a used lower unit, and just bolting it on, that is unless you want to tackle pulling it and figure out what to fix.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yup, best start looking at the outboard junkyards, like tcoutboard.com for a replacement lower unit. There should be some out there. They'll still be expensive, but not nearly the cost of rebuilding yours.

c903

Cadet

I have to agree with acquiring a complete lower unit rather than having a rebuild. It is the risk of purchasing a lower unit that is used and may have been ill maintained or abused....also, that I have to consider.

c903

Cadet

Well, sad day.... bummer!<br /><br />Talked to person that has been in boat sales repair for years and has good rep. Estimate of complete rebuild for gear case is $1500.00. New unit, if one can be found, is $2000.00 +, used unit with hidden problems $400.00 - $600.00.<br /><br />Complete rebuild of engine from top to gearcase is $1500.00 - $1800.00.<br /><br />Anyone know where I can acquire a 70 HP electric motor? :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> there is not a lot in there<br /> the gear set is about 350, a seal kit about 60 and a water pump kit another 50. takes 3 hours or so if saltwater is not involved. unless your lucky enough to have a hydro-mechanical unit. then a tear down to see what happened is in order. but tear it down first. may not be that much wrong inside.

c903

Cadet

rodbolt:<br /><br />Upon reading the manual, it appears that some specialized tools are required. Going to check with mechanic friend to see if he has tools that will do the job. <br /><br />All this reminds me why I stopped owning motorcycles. The eventual cost of parts and labor no longer made owning bikes a wise investment.