No center lock for 1986 Johnson 15 hp...

vonmerpf

Recruit
I have an '86 Johnson 15hp outboard that is still running nicely. The only problem is that it does not have a mechanism which would allow me to "lock" it in a centered position (where it cannot turn to either side). I have it mounted on the back of my 28' sailboat, and being able to lock it in place would be nice. Did these engines not have this type of lock? (sorry if there is an actual name for this type of doohickey) Is there an add-on bracket of some sort, or do I need to fabricate one? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Xcusme

Commander
Re: No center lock for 1986 Johnson 15 hp...

Vonmerpf, Welcome to iboats!<br /><br />There was no provision, that I know of, to 'lock' the motor in a way to prevent it from turning left or right. There is a friction bolt adjustment on the port side that allows you to adjust the amount of force needed to turn the motor.

vonmerpf

Recruit
Re: No center lock for 1986 Johnson 15 hp...

Hi Xcusme. Thanks, good to be here. I think I know what you are talking about - it's a spring-loaded screw, correct? I'll have to play around with that tomorrow when I'm at the boat. Thanks for the tip!<br /><br />-VonMerpf