gas/oil mix longevity

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
A guy at my marina is interested in buying a boat that hasn't been used in three years. He said the owner premixes the gas with oil at 50:1. The tank is full (60 gal.) and stabilizer was added. He wanted to know if it was OK to run this gas after sitting for three years. I don't really know what to tell him. Would this stabilized gas/oil mix still be OK to run?<br />Stalker

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: gas/oil mix longevity

Well, the stabilizer people only speak up for a year of storage. Chevron claims their gas is good for one year "if properly stored". I imagine you could get quite a conversation from them on what "properly" means. As for me, I think three years is too long. Some marinas have facilities to filter and recycle old gas, but I'd rather pay to get rid of it and start fresh if I was buying the boat. Bad fuel can lead to other problems. Just my 2c.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree Sta-bil says it will keep gas fresh for one year, 60 gal is alot of gas to recycle but I would not run it through my outboard!

18rabbit

Captain

I speak from experience…toss the fuel and professionally clean the tank before reusing. The fuel separated and shellac has form on the walls of the tank. Dumping the fuel will not remove the shellac. As soon as the fuel is gone, the shellac will dry and flake off. Can you say 'repeatedly clogged fuel filter'? I know i did. :)

DS-3

Cadet

Run this boat on a 6gal tank from wal mart with new fuel line to test. If you buy,use old fuel in Chevy or Eqv. Start Fresh. Good oil is the life of an outboard!

montanaman

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with 18rabbit, the tank needs cleaning. If you do it yourself, chemtool works well. Also don't forget the carbs fuel bowls and lines, varnish will develope in them as well. I'd make sure they were clean before I'd attempt to start the engine.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Just for reference, a Marina near me charged $5.00 a gallon to pump out the old fuel(30 Gal). They did not do the filtering and recycling of the old fuel. Just pumped it out into a huge holding tank. Had water in my tank and it was the only way to go at the time(Out of town at the lake). Maybe they do that later when whoever comes and emptys the large pump out tank.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I saw the guy this afternoon and told him that it would not ba a good idea to run that three year old fuel. He said that the guy he bought the boat from told him that he added stabilizer every year and that it would be OK. It's not really my business, but I told him that he could be creating a lot of problems with his engine if he ran that stuff. He said he wasn't going to spend $300 to have the fuel removed and even more $ to have the tank cleaned. I look at it this way, heck it's not my boat, he asked for my advice and I gave it to him. He can do whatever he wants with it. Looks like one heck of an "I told you so", but I'm not the type.<br />Stalker<br /><br />Stalker

LubeDude

Admiral

Hows that saying go? "You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him listen" Something like that!<br /><br />Oh well. You tried! :eek: