Can I use MMO as a top end cleaner??

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm going to decarb my engine this week along with many other things to try to get her to stop spitting fuel out one of the carb throats but while reading other messages here, the subject of stuck rings came up. I know on 4-stroke engines, we would pour some Marvel Mistery Oil in the plug hole and let it sit for several hours to clean and lubricate the rings and more often than not, it made a huge improvement in oil consumption and compression. Is this safe to do in a 2-stroke engine?? The oil is always removed by cranking the engine with the plugs removed prior to starting, but I don't know if this is considered bad for a 2-stroke.

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can I use MMO as a top end cleaner??

I wouldnt think it could do any harm to motor. If you have confidence in it, try it.<br /><br />As you say clear engine with plugs removed.<br /><br />Good Luck!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

TCW3 would probably work just as good.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

The best way to decarb a 2 stroke is by spraying a decarb solution into the carbs or running it through a small fuel tank. OMC engine tuner or Seafoam work well. If the Marvel Mystery oil trick worked good for you on a 4 stroke it should do what you expect it to do on a 2 stroke, but I don't think you would have to crank it without the plugs, you could probably just burn it on the next start up. I have heard of people running MMO in their fuel when winterizing. I usually use the OMC stuff, but it does take a little longer than Seafoam.

TBarCYa

The plan for the MMO is simply to lubricate the rings and free them if they're stuck. The decarb will be done with seafoam.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I would do the decarb.... then put the oil in.. if that was your plan Great!!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You're wasting your time if you think that's going to solve a reed problem. :( Rings aren't going to cause gas to spit back out of the carb. That's way on the other end of the powerhead.

TBarCYa

The primary goal of what I'm doing is to resolve the carb spitting problem, but since I'm replacing the head gaskets and checking the head and block for squareness, I figure I might as well decarb and do a top engine service at the same time. The MMO and decarb are extra stuff being done after I resolve the carb spitting issue. <br /><br />I've already assembled a good reed block to replace the cylinder that's spitting and hopefully, that'll resolve that problem but since the reeds that are in the engine now don't appear broken or badly worn, I'm not confident that it will fix the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know what else might cause it.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

i'd suggest a shop manual (OEM only) if you don't already have one. Sounds like at least one carb is a rebuild candidate. Decarb won't do anything for the spitting and I don't think MMO will do anything at all.

TBarCYa

I'm useing the Clymer manual and have already rebuilt both carbs. The MMO and decarb aren't attempts to fix the spitting, rather they're other stuff that I'm going to do while doing other work (replacing reeds) trying to resolve the spitting.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Tbar... Could probably use a Decarb anyways... and since he's working on it... Do it all at once and get it over with...