Need help deciding 1968 evinrude 85 hp

cassfam7

Cadet
1968 evinrude model #58593 A, serial #EO5899. This is another attempt, my first post was lost somehow. This outboard is attached to a 16' boat on a trailer. The asking price is $600. The boat is old and seems in good shape. I will test in the water tomorrow. Owner said he can get the motor to turn over but will not keep running. It is an electric shift, I have a a couple of older outboards and love them, but the shift problem scares me a little. How much is this motor worth. Are there people who can repair this outboard should I fail?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help deciding 1968 evinrude 85 hp

If this is an 85hp, I believe the model number is 85893. These particular electric shift are a bear to work on. Parts are scarce and expensive. The forward and reverse spring clutches are around $320 new. And they do break. Personnally, I'd tend to shy away from these electric shifts.

Hunky Dory

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need help deciding 1968 evinrude 85 hp

Yes, your first post "disappeared somehow" indeed!<br /><br />I responded and it ended up over here:<br /><br /> Other forum <br /><br />Weird! I'm still feeling dufus :eek: :eek: :eek: