fitted new ig coil but stiil no good

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class
we fiteed the new ignition coil to the 50hp but we are stiil expresssing probs it started and raced then cut out with asplutterso we started it again it ran longer but was racing then cut out we adjusted the excellarater screw but it was still the same checked the plugs and they were carboned up could this be to much oil in the mix anyone have any ideas

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: fitted new ig coil but stiil no good

You should have continued on with the original thread/post. As it stands, I have no idea what you're speaking of.

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes it is confusing because i didd nt explain it in order first we only had 1 cylinder working so we replaced the ignition coil that seemed to die off race alittle and cut out so we checked the plugs and they were carboned up we tried this several times but with no luck the engine still cut out we checked the carbs they were clean and the fuel bulb was solid just wondering weather its fuel mixture or the timing if timing what should it be set at because we cant find it in the manual my engine no isj5o belcic

Scotty's Fujiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You should give the make & model# ... no one is going to help you if they have to go back and try to figure out what thread this was from. It just makes things a lot easier for people to help when you have the info needed. Did you look at the points and check the gap along with the plugs?

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ello its a 50hp johnson seahorse about 1982 we checked the plug gaps the book says 0.8mm but thats from 1990 onwards i hope this is enough info

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Your motor is a 1981.<br /><br />Throw those old plugs away. Put in a new set of Champion QL77JC4. Gaped at .040.<br /><br />Use spark tester. Must jump 7/16 gap. You can buy a spark tester at auto. parts store or make one. you can find out how to on this forum. search spark tester. <br /><br />Good luck!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

From the model number, its' an 81'.<br /><br />From the symptoms you describe, (plugs carboned up and races a bit and dies) you have a fuel problem, likey to much fuel. When an engine gets to much fuel, it bogs a little. Take the fuel flow away and as the bowls run down on fuel the air catches up....you get a "racing" of the engine just before it dies because it's leaning out. Did you check the float height when the carbs were apart? Also, carbs may look clean but passages can be blocked without you seeing it. Best advice, if you have a carb apart, soak it out and rebuild with new kit. Setting the float level is easy....with the needle valve and float in place, invert the carb. The float should set level with the float bowl gasket surface. Adjust the float tang to get this setting.

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi all u helpers think we solved it the carbs were set wrong they werent mixing air and gas properlywe found amissing external screw and replaced it which held the top carb up adjusted the plugs and hey presto brooom bromm it went so now all we need to do is float my boatthanks for all the help let u know what hppens after wednesday

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thougt i let you know went out inthe boat today and not one problem all we neary dis was run out of fuel but does any know much fuel we should be using

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

It's supposed to work out at about 1 gallon per hour per 10 hp when at wide open throttle-so you SHOULD be using about 5 gallons an hour flat out.<br /><br />On the Microplus I took 15 gallons out with me and that'd pretty much last a weekend from friday evening to sunday evening. It's a lot of weight to carry though.