What year?

Philstr

Recruit
Hi;<br /> I'm new to this forum as well to Outboards. I just picked up a 4hp Evinrude and was wondering what year it is. The Model # is 4904d , Serial # E0003007. I'm also having a small problem. After running at full throttle for about 5 minutes the motor starts running like crap. I have to back the the throttle down so that it won't die. If I put the choke on slightly the motor runs great. I tried adjusting the mixture screw and that does not help.

Xcusme

Commander
Re: What year?

Phil, Welcome to iboats!<br /><br />You have a 1979 4hp 'Rude<br /><br />If this is a new to you motor, you should do a couple of things. Replace the water pump impeller. This helps to insure that you won't overheat the motor. If adjusting the mixture screws has little or no effect, the carb will need to be rebuilt. Both jobs are an easy task, with simple tools. Parts are cheap. Parts are available at a dealer or Nappa auto parts store (in the US).<br /><br />Also, consider ordering a service manual for your motor. The manual will walk you thru the routines to service and maintain your motor. <br /><br />BTW, the fuel mix for your motor is 50:1. That's 16oz of TCW-3 oil to 6 gallons of 87 octane gasoline.<br /><br />The mixture settings for the carb are as follows, thanks to Joe Reeves, another member here at iboats.<br /><br />Depending on which carb you have, pick one of the following.<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)<br /><br />Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br /><br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8<br />turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to<br />respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to<br />where the engine will just stay running.<br /><br />Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back<br />(sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4<br />turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.<br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move<br />them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you<br />would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.<br />--------------------------------------------------<br />(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)<br /><br />Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow<br />speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br /><br />Setting the high and low needle valves properly:<br /><br />NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no<br />NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low<br />speed needle valve adjustment.<br /><br />(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to<br />full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns,<br />start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the<br />engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that<br />point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the<br />smoothest setting.<br /><br />(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral.<br />Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few<br />seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase.<br />Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit<br />the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point,<br />back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed<br />setting.<br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move<br />them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you<br />would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.<br /><br />--------------------<br />Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

Philstr

Recruit

Thanks Joe.<br /><br />My Motor has direct drive no gears. It has a rich lean screw. Does the adjustments that you recommended apply to this screw or are there addittional screws to adjust?

Xcusme

Commander

Well, I'm not Joe, but I'm sure he will appreciate the thanks for his info on carb mixture settings.<br /><br />Anyway, yes, since your carb has only one mixture screw (Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve) the info applies. You have a fixed High Speed Jet and an adjustable Slow Speed mixture screw. ;)