6hp Evinrude outta control

vyger

Cadet
I recently purchased an 1995 Evinrude 6 hp which has been sitting unused for 3 yrs. When I start it , it runs full throttle no matter which way I turn the handle ( throttle). I have a little experience with outboards , doing water pumps and cleaning carburators and such,and am puzzled by this because the linkage seems to work fine and everthng looks like it is moving properly, nothing stuck or broken and I don't think the float being stuck would do this. Before I go and rip the carburator off does anyone have a suggestion on what to look for and am I missing something obvious..

Lasse Lehtonen

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 6hp Evinrude outta control

Check the carb throttle butterfly, it might be jammed at WOT position (butterfly is in horizontal position)If the carb butterfly is fully closed, it´s impossible for engine to run at full rpm.

vyger

Cadet

Thanx...Eki...I have drained the carb bowl and worked the linkage back and forth and for some unknown reason it is working ok now..so something was stuck..maybe the butterfly, don't know..but thanx for the reply

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First: Get a Service manual, vyger.<br /><br />As our friend and fellow member Steelspike says, "Anyone who works on an outboard without a manual has a fool for a mechanic".<br /><br />Good luck, and welcome to iboats. :)