Evinrude motor 70 ps building year according to serial number ?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude motor 70 ps building year according to serial number ?

Hi maxius,<br />THE serial number is difficult to work with.<br />The model number is used to document year of manufacture.<br /><br />The model number may look similar to this: 70873<br /><br />Or it may look similar to this: E70ELCN<br /><br />Post the model number if you are able. And we will try to determine year.

maxius

Recruit

Thanks for your answer. The seller is not able to locate the modell number !!?? It seems that the motor is a 70 hp VRO (as mentionned on the cover of the motor)? Do you know what it means and when those VRO modell were built ? The seller says the motor is probably from the beginning of the 90s. Maybe you could recognize the modell on the picture at the link Y mentionned in my first threat ? Regards? MC.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I will seek additional help.<br /><br />I don't want to guess, and provide false information.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

maximus....VRO means Variable Ratio Oiling, they first came out with VRO in 1986 (I believe), so you know it is at most that old. I find it curious that the current owner doesn't know the year of the motor. I'm not a OMC guru like some of the guys here, but I doubt they would be able to tell you the exact year just by color as some colors and designs carried over between years. I had a 1990 60 hp that looked identical to that, so if I had to guess I would say it was 89 -91. You should look on the transom mounting bracket to get the model number, and I would also ask if the VRO is still hooked up and working or if the motor is running on premix so you know what you have to do with it. Good luck.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Take a look at the powerhead. On the port side, how many plates are over the exhaust area? 1 or 3?

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Maximus,<br /><br />The colour scheme on the motor is the same as my '86, but as mmcpeck said earlier, that doesn't tell you much as they used the same colours for several years. Sorry I'm not much help.<br /><br />I did notice the paint job the guy did on his lower unit including the propeller. What do you want to bet that he used his left over house paint? It is the exact same color!<br /><br />Good luck!