old evinrude outboard

tedwms

Recruit
My father gave me an old evinrude outboard. It cranks; however, it will not stay cranked. We think it may be gummed up. Can some one tell me the year, make and/or model? The serial # is 9030-04162. Also, any ideas about what could be wrong and how we should go about fixing.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: old evinrude outboard

I'm having trouble placing that one. 9029 is a 1938 16.2hp, and 9031 is a 1939 16.2hp. But there's no mention of a model 9030.<br /><br />Does that sound close a all?

tedwms

Recruit

I'm not sure. It's got 2 spark plugs. Does the first digits of the serial # indicate the model #? Thanks for your help with this. Do you know of a website or resource that has pictures of all the models? I haven't been able to find one in my searchs.

Paul Moir

Admiral

No, I'm wrong - the 16.2hp (SportFour) is a four cylinder, and hence four spark plug engine.<br /><br />Check the transom for a nameplate with the model number and the serial number on it. Also check for a silver disc set into the engine block itself for a model number.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

twms....might that model number be 3030?? If so, that would make it a '59 3hp. Can ya' give us a description....like how many cylinders, any markings on hood or the like?

tedwms

Recruit

First, thanks to all who've responded. Secondly, I'm making an appointment to have my eyes checked. OBJ, you we're correct. It's 3030. How did you know? My apologies to those I led astray.<br /> :eek: