Interesting compression results, question.

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1973 Johnson 85HP.<br /><br />Compression on 2 and 4 is 140. Compression on 1 and 3 is 150.<br /><br />Motor is new-to-me, I'm guessing that one side (1,3) may have been rebuilt/honed/ringed, or is there another explanation that one of the resident masters might be able to offer?<br /><br />Can anyone tell me if this uneven compression pattern might cause an operational problem? For the few seconds I've been able to get it to run (also working an intermittent spark/no-spark problem) it sounds fine, better than fine actually, pretty dang nice really.<br /><br />I'm probably going to need to buy a stator for my ignition problem so want to make sure compression is not going to make that a waste of money, thanks!<br /><br />Jason

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Interesting compression results, question.

Usually looking for less than a 10% difference in compression.<br /><br />Someone will come a long and give you a better explanation.<br /><br />Good luck

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I'm in range then, other comments/info/opinions still welcomed, thanks Larry!<br /><br />J

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

well...Iam hardly a master of anything. Unless we are talking about my beatle hound.<br /><br />My opinon about your compression is that you are in fine shape, everbodys motor should have such high numbers.<br /><br />Your intermient spark issues can best be solved by following the trouble shoot section in your manual.<br /><br />Luck to ya!

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Goodoleboy, I think I'm on a good track with troubleshooting the ignition, have another post I just put up on that if you have any ideas, and thanks!<br /><br />J

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

When you get it running add a decarb to your to do list.

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks SoLittle, I was thinking the same, maybe one side is low, not the other high, eh?

G DANE

Commander

Both are very high, but that depends of gauges. Manual advises to compare banks on V4 when looking for equality, like you did. Of coarse all 4 ahould be within range. Was this warm or cold ? Both banks do not always run at exactly same temperature.

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks GD, this was cold, haven't got it running yet, working an ignition issue.<br /><br />I may be overthinking/overworking this since they seem to be within reasonable tolerance for a cold engine that might also need a decarb, but for my own education can you clarify on comparing banks?<br /><br />Do you mean compare within the bank (1 vs. 3, and 2 vs. 4) or between banks (1,3 vs. 2,4)?<br /><br />Gracias,<br /><br />J

G DANE

Commander

Compare within banks - compare 1 to 3 and 2 to 4, as you did. Difference between banks is often seen on healthy motors too, especially on cold readings.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Look at the heads and make sure the heads are a matched set. The port head will have a casting number thats one numer before the starboard head. If they are not a matching set, find one to match the port. <br /><br />If they are a matching set then someone may have cut the starboard head. Not good.

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, pardon my ignorance but what does "cutting" the head mean? Not familiar with that term. I'll check the casting numbers as well.<br /><br />Thx!<br /><br />J