Lark IV Siezed--What's worth selling, what gets junked?

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A neighbor gave me a "was running fine last season" Lark IV that turned out to have a siezed power head, cracked lower housing, missing starter etc. In short, junk. I've pirated a few parts off of it for an earlier Lark, and now my wife wants it removed from the garage. I'm thinking of selling a few select parts and since I know there are a lot of derelict Larks out there, I want to know what parts might be worth the trouble and what parts should just be taken down to the scrap dealer. I assume the lower leg shrouds and housings are pretty near useless. Carbs seem to be going for around five bucks on Ebay. Is there anything that absolutely should not be taken out of the collective parts pool?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Lark IV Siezed--What's worth selling, what gets junked?

Cylinder heads are good to sell. Fuel pump. Pull the flywheel if it's not cracked.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If it's got one, the generator, gen bracket and belt have value. Do as CATransplant says, often you find a pair of brand new ignition coils.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

part it out on ebay u will make a few buxs. u might not make a killing but u will help out another fellow boater

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, I'd also like to help out some of the wonderful people here who have helped me out. Any bits of low monetary value that any of you have been looking for (No, not the generator. . .)? You pay postage and they're yours. <br /><br />You can contact me via my private hotmail account.

CATransplant

Admiral

Even though the gearcase is cracked, you might want to disassemble it and see how the internal parts are. A good propshaft, etc. are hard to find. If this is an electric shift, check the solenoids. If they're good, they're also hard to come by.<br /><br />Thinking further...short shaft or long shaft...doesn't matter. Sell the driveshaft, shift rod and coupler (the brass goodie) if it's manual shift, and water tubes to someone who is trying to convert. Again, hard parts to come by. If it's a long shaft, add the extension housing.<br /><br />Check the exhaust relief bellows. If it's sound, it has value (not much, but they can't be found).