Hard to get to plane

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's a good one. I haven't been on in a while, but the knowledge I've gotten has helped. When I start up, it runs a little rough and have to get in gear fast before it dies. I can put the throttle all the way to WOT and it just putts along. After a little bit of messing with the throttle, I can get it to plane out and run up to 2500 RPM's. While doing that, I can burn ALOT of gas faster than I should, and while trying to accelerate it bogs, studders, and I smell fuel. I know its a fuel problem. Coils checked good, but don't have the good tools to check the rest of the ignition. Could it be bad jetting, or sticking trigger? The proper spec plugs are in. Thanks.

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hard to get to plane

it sounds like the carbs need cleaning or a bad power pack also the make of the motor and hp.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Mine did that and it turned out to be a frozen timer base. No advance=no guts

Dmac58

Cadet

You might want to replace the spark plug cables and boots to the plugs. A sticking float can cause problems also.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the carbs rebuilt, new plugs on a 175 gt w?vro. and replaced the power pack. That fixed my problem a while ago if you search the posts with my name. Anyway, if it is a sticking timer, (I'm assuming the little guy that moves on the stator), can I clean it or do I have to replace it? I'm thinking it may be a sticking float, but it doesn't really flood out. When I bring the stick back, it just shuts off and I gotta pump the primer back up. Bad float?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

It could be stale or contaminated gas -- water in the tank from condensation, possibly. A Raycor filter would be good insurance, if you don't already have one. Assuming the gas is fresh, you might try adding any of the alcohol drier products available for gasline freeze. Add enough of the stuff, maybe a bottle or two for a fair sized tank. There would still be a problem if there is water in the carb or fuel lines, but if you can manage to run out what is in there until you get into the treated stuff, you might be OK.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know its good gas because I go to the pump and fill up. I heard its bad to put any kind of additive to two stroke motors. I think it may be air somehow getting in the fuel lines. I'll look at it this weekend.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Water in the gas is a potential problem if you are equipped with permanent tanks -- at least more so than if you are using portables. One obvious thing you can try is to switch out tanks and lines with a portable tank/lines known to be good, put in some fresh gas and TCW-3, and see if that's any better. This would be a good idea in particular if you use permanent tanks. An alcohol additive to take care of water, by the way, is less damaging than running water-contaminated gas.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was out workin on the motor, and on the ears it runs fine. No hesitation or anything. It accelerates good and idles fine and doesnt stall. But in the water is when it acts up. Possible power head problem?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What motor are we working on? The 175 GT? Where's the fuel leaking from?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, 175 gt. I don't have a fuel leak from what I see. New primer bulb and lines. carbs rebuilt, and I don't understand. I'm thinking the timer is sticking because its a little tough to move the throttle, or it can just be the backpressure of the water. I'm going to take it to a shop, but I wanna exhaust all efforts if its something small.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You said you smell fuel so it must be leaking somewhere. You can watch the timer base move. Just peel the hood off and move the throttle. It doesnt have to be running.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The timer base moves, but I have read and heard that they can stick a little and hesitate the throtle. I smeel gas when I put it to WOT and I stay at the same speed. I go thru ALOT of gas when it finally planes out, so I know I'm dumping alot of fuel in. My problem is is does not want to do any type of whole shot. I have to ease up on the throttle. Its tricky to get it to plane. If I'm just puttin along and go to WOT, the motor does not accelerate like it should, and it gets excess gas. It doesnt stall, just stays the same speed.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the timer base is moving freely, its not sticking. <br /><br />As far as the fuel goes, I'd look at the carbs and fuel pump(s).

reeldutch

Lieutenant

may be your primer is leaking or something funky is going on with your fuel pump.<br />is it hard to start up?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a little rough starting up, but thats because of the girly batttery in it. I swapped that with a 680 cca. I hold the choke primer in, it starts, hold the choke and it idles fine. A little misfire, but it accelerates and its fine. I have the problem in the water when the prop is under. Put a new primer solenoid in, and its a vro pump. Anyone know how I can test the fuel output of the VRO?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

your right Sounds like the same as Mine.... CARB work.. sounds like a float is stickin to me.... floodin it out.... I have gas spuddering through the front of carb though.... thats why I smell gas

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to have the problem of runnin it at the house, and when you trim it up gas and oil pours out of it. I'll check the floats, and I hope that fixes it. I'm gettin tired of it.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I know alot of um say to disconnect the fuel lines when trimmed up.... It is not uncommon either way though because there is still gas left in the bowls when you tilt.... it has to go somewhere.... so out the front it comes... it should only let out the amount in the bowls... or until it runs level with the the carb... You shouldn't get much more then that though<br /><br />I would have to say if it wasn't for this site.. I'd prolly be rowing back to the dock....