2004 40hp Johnson Will Not Start?

jsmendzi

Cadet
I just purchased a 2004 40hp Johnson outboard (model # J4ORSRS) and took it out to the lake last weekend. It had only been used 10hrs, and had not been started since last year. After some difficulty I got it started, and used it on my inflatable for about 20 mins, then the motor started choking like it was not getting enough gas, and shut off. I tried to get it going again with no luck, and had to get towed in. I though that it might either be the fuel filter, or dirty spark plugs, however I have replaced the plugs, and cleaned the fuel filter, but I can still not get it to start. It has both electric and manual start (I need to use manual for my inflatable); the starter cord is very difficult to pull to on start it, and sometimes locks up and stops in mid pull (I sprained my wrist doing this). When I pull on the cord it makes a metal clinking sound, which doesn’t sound right. The plugs do spark, and they are getting gas… Does anybody know what could be wrong with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2004 40hp Johnson Will Not Start?

Sounds like it may have sheared the flywheel key, JS. <br /><br />Good luck, and let us know what you find. :)

jsmendzi

Cadet

Thanks, I will try taking off the flywheel tomorrow and let you know what I find. What would casue the flywheel key to shear?

bvh

Cadet

Flywheel key is probably just fine. I would bet the carbs are gummed up from sitting and took 20 minutes to clog up. Clean them or have them cleaned. Hope you didn't pull the flywheel yet.

jsmendzi

Cadet

Thanks bvh, yeah I already pulled the flywheel and the key was fine like you suggested. Will try cleaning the carbs today. Thanks, will let you know what I find.

jsmendzi

Cadet

I've cleaned the carbs... but they are flooding and dripping gas all over the place. I've tried playing with the float and trying different adjustments but it doesn't appear to be helping. Does anyone know what may be causing the flooding? Thanks.