CDI-Rapair Sensor Gap Guage / R.Johnson

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm about to order this guage to check the gaps on my timer base. I have a '77 Johnson 140hp. I've been having an erratic to no spark situation on my motor for some time and finally was able to find some time to do some more investigating this weekend. I removed the flywheel and checked out the timer base for any broken or loose wires and scuffed up the metal sensor tips. Put everything back together and now have spark on the 2 & 4 cylinders. I'm hoping that adjusting the gaps as outlined by R.Johnson awhile back will solve my problem. I haven't gotten the guage yet - about to order it through the Marine Mega Mall above. How does it work? I know you place it over the shaft in place of the flywheel - do you adjust the sensors till they touch the guage or should there be some sort of gap between the sensor and the guage?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: CDI-Rapair Sensor Gap Guage / R.Johnson

You place the guage over the crankshaft, you then adjust the sensor's out to touch the guage. You have to remove the epoxey that covers the screws, that holds the sensor's. I covered that in a previous post.

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: CDI-Rapair Sensor Gap Guage / R.Johnson

Thanks for responding R.Johnson! I printed out your previous post and haven't attempted to remove the epoxy yet. I'm ordering the guage today and hope to do the adjustment this week. Hope this works! Really don't want to have to purchase a new timer base. Thanks again for your help