1969 Evinrude 40952R Charging system

byacey

Chief Petty Officer
This motor I have is an electric start, but it doesn't have any form of charging system. Has somebody removed it; or was it never there to begin with?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 1969 Evinrude 40952R Charging system

That's a 1969 Evinrude 40 hp. Some of those came with a generator mounted, but most did not. If this is an electric shift model, it probably did come with a generator, which may have been removed. The generator mounted on a bracket on the side of the engine opposite the starter and ran from a belt to the flywheel. It wasn't much at charging batteries, though, frankly, and you can live without it quite easily.<br /><br />If it's a manual shift model, which the model number indicates that it was, no generator would have been installed.<br /><br />Since a fresh battery will start this engine many dozens of times, it's not really worth bothering with adding a generator to this outboard, and parts are difficult to come by and expensive for the generator.<br /><br />Just enjoy it and charge the battery at home from time to time. I generally put a trickle charger on it most of the time.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info; i'm not going to worry about it too much then.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Regarding adjusting the points, Is the highest point on the cam in line with the keyway? thats what it looks like to my eye...

CATransplant

Admiral

Yup, that's it. If you line the keyway up with the point's cam follower, you're at the high point. <br /><br />By the way, if you ever remove that cam, don't lose the little pin. It's probably the smallest part on the whole outboard. If you do, you can replace it with a short piece of drill rod the same diameter as the hole.<br /><br />If you're getting ready to adjust the points, you must have the flywheel off. When you put it back on, be absolutely sure to torque the nut down to 105 ft.-lb. Any less and the crankshaft key will shear off. Any more and you can crack the flywheel. <br /><br />Here's a thread that discusses various tricks should you have problems:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=029310#000017