boat prop change

caper_45ca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 19' bowrider with a 90 hp johnson on it..It presently has a 13.75x15 alum prop on it and I can get up 5300 wot and about 35mph.......I also have a new alum michigan 14x19 prop...if I change props what will the difference be....thank you

angus63

Captain
Re: boat prop change

Any higher than the 15 pitch at the same setup will be lugging the motor. Your very close to where you should be now. Raising the present set up may gain you a few RPM's and MPH's.<br />Good luck

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Using your figures, a 14 X 19 prop would be way too much prop for your motor. Like Angus63 said, it would be lugging and that is very bad for the motor. Consider a jack plate instead.

caper_45ca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by IBNFSHN:<br /> Using your figures, a 14 X 19 prop would be way too much prop for your motor. Like Angus63 said, it would be lugging and that is very bad for the motor. Consider a jack plate instead.

caper_45ca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im sorry but new to boating....what is a jackplate????

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Attaches to the back of the boat where motor is attached now. Motor than attaches to the plate which is adjustable up and down. Allows setting height of engine in small increments to extract maximum performance. You don't need one but you should check where the anti ventilation plate is in relation to the keel. Should be flush or slightly above.