98 115 Johnson Troubleshooting electrical problem

GatorMike

Ensign
I reciently posted that on my vacation I lost 4 of my engine gauges. I started trying to find the problem this afternoon. The wireing diagrams in my manual don't give a lot of detail. In order to figure them out I need some help with some of the terminology and where to find a couple of parts. Am I correct in assuming the TILT LIMIT SWITCH is the dark brown plastic arm that is under the motor next to the trim motor? If so where do I find the trim gauge sending unit? I'm going to start with the trim gauge then move on to the other 3 bad gauges.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 98 115 Johnson Troubleshooting electrical problem

Have you checked the ground on that guage harness? Having taken a look at the service manual, I would not think of trying to tackle that engine with anything other than the OEM manual.

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tilt limit switch is actually mounted on the steering tube, and controls how far the motor is tilted up to prevent damage to the cowling or steering. The arm you mentioned is part of the trim sender located on the port clamp bracket. You also need to check the power(should be purple) wire from the ignition that goes to the gauges.

GatorMike

Ensign

I was just reading my manual and have to apologize I would not have been so quick to ask these questions had I realized there is a pretty detailed section on troubleshooting the trim gauge and sending unit in the manual. It still does not tell me where that sending unit is located though. Guess I will find it tomorrow after work.