Lubedude, oil costs

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Hey Lubedude<br /><br />What does the average cost of a quart of Amsoil go for? And where the heck do you get it? After all the debates, good and bad, I want to try it and see what happens. I've never had a problem with dino in 20+ some odd Years on my OMC motors, but it's worth a try. Also, lower unit lube, too. Any suggestions...

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Lubedude, oil costs

some of our marine dealers around me have it. <br /><br />I'm sure you can get some from LubeDude..<br /><br />you can also order it from my website (I don't make anything off of it, it's mainly for my own use as I get it cheaper having a dealer liscense)<br /><br />I also use the LU gear lube and the oil mix. You will like the less smoke, etc<br /><br />oops...left off the average cost....It's under $5 I believe. the Merc stuff here is around $4 for the same equivalent<br /><br />Here is a link for your reference to Amsoil.<br /><br />http://intershop.amsoil.com/cgi-bin/Amsoil.storefront/40321cd0025e848e271bd 1f0e3f006d6/Catalog/1133<br /><br />it is $4.95 to treat 12 gallons<br /><br />Here is the one I use<br /> http://www.amsoil.com/products/prodpics/2003/aio_qt_600pxh.jpg

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, Kelton. I'm gonna order some and give it a whirl. I can't really comment on something I haven't tried. :)

BillP

Captain

RB,<br />Contact Amsoil on their web site and ask who your local rep is. Then the lose the shipping cost.

LubeDude

Admiral

RB, Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya, Ive been busy this morning. And thanks Mike for helping him out in my absence.<br /><br />Are you using the injection oil, or are you going to premix?<br /><br />Contact me at: rays-shop1@juno.com

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

use the pre-mix, get with Lubedude or find a local guy.<br /><br />you won't go back to dino<br /><br />No problem Lubedude....Us synthetic guys have to stick together since some think we're crazy....they're the ones missing out.<br /><br />ps RB, if you order other stuff, the shipping isn't quite as bad....when I order, I order a bunch.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Hi Kelton, <br /><br />I was just wanting to try out a couple of quarts for starters. Ya know it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks when something works so well for so long....

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Say Lubedude...a little off the topic but I have a question or two for ya..."What raw materials does Amsoil use to manufacture it's synthetic oil?"<br />I've scoured the internet and it seems like it's a well kept secret. Either that or I am asking the wrong questions. There seems to be a lot of synthetic oil manufacturers out there...and each one has the miracle lube..."What are the diferences between brands of syntheric oils?"<br />I am not using synthetic oils now, nor do I plan on using them, just curious...then again, tomorrow is another day...just a Thought

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

In many years of testing, oils and how they performe always comes up. We have had the opportunity to look at V6 2 strokes that were run on nothing except Amsoil (oil injected). The bearings looked absolutly new. No discoloration what so ever.<br /><br />Motors ran on dino oils vary in bearing discoloration depending on several things like loads and brand (ie: quality) of oil. The colors range from brown to blue to purple in extreme cases. None had oil related problems, its just interesting to note the differences. <br /><br />Motors ran on synthetic blends will show very slight bearing discoloration. Colors range from almost none to very light brown. <br /><br />We now use Pennzoil Blend in all testing as the baseline oil based off of availability and cost. We know the oil works well and is readily available to everyone at reasonable costs.<br /><br />RB, your comment about shipping is eaxctly what we hear all the time.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

RB, try to find a local dealer....they ARE out there. <br /><br />When I need just a quart, I'm fortunate that one of the boat stores close to me sells it, so I don't have to order it.<br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />edit: call this number (800) 777-8491 to find a local dealer

LubeDude

Admiral

"AT THE RISK OF SOUNDING LIKE A COMERCIAL"<br /><br />Remember, I was ask! I know Im walking a fine line here.<br /><br />The Courts have decided that you can call a group III oil a synthetic. Oils like Castrol Syntec comes to mind. I am under the opinion that most if not all Syntheic blend and full Synthetic outboard oils on the current market are of these group III oils as a base stock. These are a hydrocracked variety and are in there own a very good lubricant but not up to the group IV and higher base stocks. Amsoil uses the very finest Base stocks available and shops around for them, Hence the higher price. Amsoils 2 cycle oils are a carefully designed mix of esters and PAOs that also have the best aditive package that money can by. If there were a way to improve on them they would and will do it. When Amsoil designs an oil, price is not the deciding factor, performance is. When you buy an Amsoil Product you know you are getting the best you can find.<br /><br />Amsoil is the ONLY oil on the current market that meets the new ETECH Guidlines. That should tell you something!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Personaly I dont think you sound like a commercial -- everything weve seen for years backs up exactly what youre saying.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Lubedude,<br /><br />Am I supposed to run the injector oil at 50:1? They do mention 100:1, but... I have a quart on the way :D and I have requested dealers in my area from Amsoil.

LubeDude

Admiral

Yes, Run the injector oil at 50:1.<br /><br />When I have switched over, I Like to take the boat in question out first and record the RPMs at WOT before I change over. Then Use a spare tank with the Amsoil in it and Run at a Lower RPM for awhile, OK to have the boat on plane, Maybe just a few munutes, 5 or so, just to make sure all the old oil is burned and washed out. Them max it out and see if there is any RPM change at WOT. Normally there is, (1-200), I think you will notice a different sound to your engine too. Let us Know how it turns out.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes when I can get out there. Hope Amsoil can supply me with a dealer in my area...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Also, how would you rate it up against the Pennzoil Blend that Dhadley mentioned?

LubeDude

Admiral

I beleive the Penzoil blend to be a fine oil, better than a regular TCW-3 oil. I think it to be a group III add to a regular Penz Base. Certainly better than conventional. Id compare it to the Ficht Ram oil. Also a great oil. Amsoil is just the best.<br /><br />Now I may Shoot my foot off!<br /><br />Do we have to use a fully synthetic oil in all of our equipment? "Absolutly Not"!<br /><br />Is it actually overkill? In most instances, "Absolutly"!<br /><br />Why do I insist on using it in everything I own? Because I want the best protection I can posably get.<br /><br />If I have an over heating problem I know that if I am using the best oil there is it will protect longer if there is a problem, to me it is like insurance. Regular oil goes away at a lower heat than synthetics, several hundred degrees sooner.<br /><br />Is it absolutly bulletproof? "Absolutly not"! But I have never siezed a piston in any 2 Cycle engine I have been running amsoil in and freinds of mine have, Motorcycles, chainsaws, and lawn and garden equipment, and Im talking 25+ Years.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the info, Lubedude. Solved my curiousity..