1980 70 hp Johnson shifter cales

crowley

Recruit
What is the best way to figure out if the cable has streched? I'm having dificulties getting full throtle out of my motor. The control shifter is going completly forward but it doesn't appear to be advancing the leaver at the motor far enough.<br /><br />Also at a low RPM or when the shifter is advanced about 1/4 throttle, the motor has a very noticable hesitation for a minuite or so but then passes and all is fine...<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appriciated thanks !!

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1980 70 hp Johnson shifter cales

First, welcome to Iboats. Would first try disconnecting throttle cable at motor and operate throttle arm manually to test for full opening of the throttle plates in the carbs. If not, then the throttle arm advance stop screw may be misadjusted. Also, you can manually operate the throttle plates for the carbs to insure free movement and full travel. BTW, the middle carb limits the throttle plate movement for all 3 carbs. Other than this, I doubt if the cable is stretched as the throttle arm is being pushed not pulled by the cable to open the throttles. If throttle/shift arm goes all the way goes all the way down to a horizontal position, then might need to check inside your control for full motion of the throttle cable arm there. As for the hesitation, might be time for a carburator rebuild. Also, be sure to check the link and sync adjustment of the your motor. This is covered in the engine service manual.

crowley

Recruit
Re: 1980 70 hp Johnson shifter cales

Thanks Willamettejeff for the quick reply to my question regarding the throttle control and the carb. I'll hopfully get a chance to get at it this weekend. <br />Once again thank-you for your help !!