Would the gauge package likely be toast if this happened ?

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Everyone,<br /><br />I'm sure you're all going to say sure, sure... ;) when you read this but a good friend of mine (not me) and his 16 year old son was helping launching his sister-in-law's newly acquired 2000 Larson ski boat with a 2000 Johnson 130 on it's maiden voyage (she just bought it used) and reverse connected the small leads going to the battery and made a few sparks happen. :eek: Apparently, his sister-in-law's face looked kind of like this :mad: when he told her what he had done.<br /><br />It wasn't the heavy main leads that he hooked up wrong it was the secondary set with only smaller sized wires that he hooked up backwards. He said a lot of the wiring going towards the gauges got fried all crispy-like and all or most of the fuses up front were blown. He couldn't tell if the wiring going into the gauges was also blistered or burnt.<br /><br />My friend, whom I'm going to call "Sparky" from now on, has asked me to post this message and ask the following questions for him:<br /><br />Has anyone has ever done this before and what was the extent of the damage that occured as a result or does anyone know what the extent of the damage is likely to be in this situation ? <br /><br />Is it likely that the instruments would've gotten damaged or would they likely have been saved by the fuses ?<br /><br />What about the electrical stuff on the engine ? I'm only familiar with the old mid 70's engines so I don't really know what's what with these fangled new oil injection cappucino making models. Would any of the wires on that secondary harness go back to the engine or is all the engine stuff powered off the main leads ? Do these new models still have pulse-packs and rectifiers like the old ones did ? He says there's tons of wiring on that engine so I assume there's all sorts of good stuff in there that one could fry eh ?<br /><br />So is my friend probably just looking at having to replace the wiring harness for the gauge package and maybe some wiring for some of the other accessories or is he more than likely looking at having to replace most of the instruments too ? Is it likely that he fried some stuff on the engine too ? If so, what would be getting power off that secondary (small) set of leads going to the battery ?<br /><br />I'm sorry I can't give you more technical details to help you make more educated guesses but you now know everything I know about the situation so please just try and do the best you can based on the little bit of information you have to go on.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Roj (Roger) on behalf of K. "Sparky" Mathewson<br /><br />"Hooo-boy, that blowed up reaal gooood !"

Blueclaw

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Would the gauge package likely be toast if this happened ?

Being it is a newer boat you have to answer the question of the gauges being analog or digital. If the're analog most of them should be okay. Digital may be another story. The problem you'll have is in anything electronic. Back feeding voltage to these type of componets can fry diodes, IC's and the likes. Radios, Fish Finders,GPS would be the types of electronics.<br /><br />I'd fix the wires and replace one fuse at a time with the wiring the correct way, and check that componet.<br /><br />Did he ever try to start the motor?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You can never tell with these sort of mistakes. I think if you follow Blueclaws advice your friend will be able to determine the extent of the damage, if any at all.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Like others have said, you won't know until you start fixin. Replace all the burn't wires and fuses and hook them up one at a time. A lot of newer digital equipment is protected against reverse polarity so hopefully yo will make out there. Good luck.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Most electronic instrument designs these days *should* provide protection for reverse polarity. Your mate Sparky (;-)) wouldn't be the first person to do this.<br /><br />I think your motor electronics will be fine. They're powered from the stator, but the cappucino maker might be stuffed. I dunno, you'll really have to make a cup or two to check if it still works.

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all your help and advice.<br /><br />I haven't seen the boat and he didn't tell me if the gauges were digital or analogue. I guess I should've thought to ask him about that. I only think in terms of what's on my boat which is over 30 years old now so it didn't even enter into my thinking that the gauges might be digital. All I have in my boat for instrumentation is an analogue tach and trim gauge, neither of which have worked in well over a decade. Oh, and a fuel gauge for the built in gas tank. That doesn't work either and we haven't used that fuel tank in 15 years at least. So I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about. Having gauges in a ski boat is really overrated if ya ask me. They're just something else that ya have to fix all the time. Unfortunately, Sparky's sister-in-law is kinda fussy about stuff like that and so he's going to have to restore it back to the way it was before he inadvertently stress tested the electrical protection systems on her boat. ;) <br /><br />I don't think he tried to start the engine afterwards. That probably wouldn't have been a good idea with all those frazzled wires everywhere. I think he just reeled it back onto the trailer and took it to the nearest Dealer. He wanted me to ask these questions and find out what I could for him so he'd have a bit better idea of what the total extent of the damage was likely to be so he wouldn't feel like he was totally at the mercy of the Dealer. <br /><br />Let's hope it's just a few burnt wires and nothing more. It could end up costing him a small fortune if he fried a bunch of digital gauges.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Roj