First Launch Troubles, Selectric Shift...

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well guys,<br /><br />This weekend has been absolutely gorgeous in Portland. 80's and 90's. Coincidentally I finished the restoration project I have been working on last Friday. On Sunday I tried to turn the motor over and nothing. I replaced the solenoid to no resolve. I found out that the throttle cable was too long and was engaging the safety switch. Today I launched the boat for the first time. After priming and adjusting the throttle body, It started and ran extremely well. THE BAD NEWS... Selectric shift has claimed another beautiful day. <br /><br />I need all of your advice. My tech says that I should check the oil (apparently if it is at all milky it won't shift in to gear). He told me to check the voltage at the shifting unit, and then go from there.<br /><br />Any ideas guys?? I have this whole week off and I am itching to get on the river.<br /><br />Thanks in advance..<br />Sal

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: First Launch Troubles, Selectric Shift...

What year, and size is your engine?

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh totally forgot to post that vital info huh??<br />It is a 63 evinrude Lark V, 40hp.. The model is 40363 DA. Thanks

denislajoie

Seaman

Hi there, well your tech was not that off, if the oil is milky white, you have a bad seal, also these units require premium blend oil only, anything else, and the clutches will slip, checking the voltage to the4 coils is also a good start, if there is 12 volts to both shift wires, try disconnecting them and with the battery disconnected check the resistance of the coils, im not sure on this but i believe there should be between 5 - 7 ohms resistance, someone correct me if im wrong, try that and report back

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright! Thanks guys! it's off to the buddies house to pick up a voltometer... I will post back with progress.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

any other insight??

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeah, selectric shifts will only have 12volts on one coil at a time, between the green wire and ground, or the blue wire and ground. Never on both at the same time.<br /><br />Do you have the original remote controls for this engine, if so, the problem may also be in the switchs, they may need a clean up.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Disconnect the shift wires' back at the engine. Run a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery to each shift wire, one at a time. This should engage the gear for that wire. Don't let the jumper touch ground, or jump both shift wires' at once.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I do have the original controls. I will clean up the switch. As for the other stuff... Will do, and report! I appreciate all of your help with this.