Re-Power Dilemma-18' Bluefin

Pudster

Recruit
I have a 1985 18' Bluefin Sportsman - Dual Console that was given to me. Nothing wrong with the boat itself, except for the 50HP Force. THe thing won't even get on plane with more than 2 people in it. <br /><br />Would like to re-power with something enough to pull skiers, yet idle down to troll in windy weather. <br /><br />The Coast Guard plate says max HP is 85. I find that hard to believe seeing as that Force is so incredibly weak.<br /><br />1) Could I go up to a 90 HP engine and be ok?<br />2) Will a 90 HP older (such as listed below) 2-stroke troll down ok?<br />3) I've never installed a remote engine before. Could I do it myself? (I am handy enough to do most of my own maintenence on my car). <br /><br />So Far I have a completely rebuilt 1982 Johnson 90HP or a 94 Johnson 90HP that I'm looking at. Anything special about these motors? Is there an older model of this size that is known for reliability that i should keep an eye out for,<br />or should i suck it up and get a late model?<br /><br />Thanks for any advice!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re-Power Dilemma-18' Bluefin

You wouldn't notice any difference between an 85 and a 90, Burt. Neither will your boat.<br /><br />Go for it. :)