mounting 60 Evinrude to transom

Scotty's Fujiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, call me dumb if you will. But I just bought a 60 HP Evinrude model 60073 (guy i got it from says its a 71, but my year guide says its a 70) Well, i thought it would have screws like my smaller motors do so you can mount to transom. Well, this does not. it has two bracket like peices that insert into the peice that hooks over the transom with lotsa holes in them... Can someone please tell me how to mount this thing on my boat? PLEASE don't tell me I have to drill & put bolts through the transom.... Can anyone give me a clue? The more I try, the more I learn with this boat!

Scotty's Fujiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: mounting 60 Evinrude to transom

So your telling me I need to drill two holes on each side, insert im guessing stainless bolts & locking nuts and thats all! that sounds easy enough. Heres another question for you. My boat has the old pulley steering system. Is there any way to attach to this motor? or do i have to convert to a cable?

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

no it can be attaached . i ran a 50 hp.1973 on a cable and puuey stering . i made it from scratch . it was stick stering. the wife bought me a single cable for christmas.<br /> i bolted a pice of flat mettle on the frunt where the old one was to mount and attached the cables to the end of the 4 inch pice of mettle i it has ben a while but i might have used a pice of angle iron . i used it on a 1964 40 hp and a 1966 33 hp.and a 1973 50hp all evinrude

Scotty's Fujiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Papasage. I would have never thought of that! you just saved me some pretty good $$ I have the perfect peice of angle iron for this.<br />By the way, after looking at my transom clamp, there are 2 holes, one on each side near the top that are threadded, maybe i can use transom clamps there and only bolt the bottom. Thanks for your input.