Tach not working

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
1980 Evinrude 115.<br /><br />I can't get the tach to work. I've tried two tachs, the latest one an OMC with the connector for the controls. Neither gave me any reading at all. <br /><br />I have voltage at the connector. Both 12v and some voltage in the middle pin (varied from under 1 to over 2v, depending on throttle) but the guy I picked up the second tach from suggested an electrical fault if the tach doesn't work. <br /><br />Other then this, the motor seems to run fine but is not reaching it's potential. I'd ask questions about that, but everyone would want to know the RPM's ;) <br /><br />Thanks

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tach not working

I did.<br /><br />It was the first thing in my manual for checking electrical stuff.<br /><br />The rectifier seems fine. However the wire coming out of the rectifier is broken so close to the epoxy that I don't have enough left to splice. I'm thinking this is my problem (and you post confirmed it, thanks).<br /><br />Off to the boat place again (on Monday). So I'm fishing tomorrow in my little boat. Amazing how those little electric motors always work.