Outboard Alternator

msammons

Recruit
I have an 89 15HP Johnson OB on a boat I jsut bought. Can I add an alternator to it and if so who supplies them? Should have asked the PO but didn't think about it. How do you tell if it is already equipped?<br />Thanks,<br />Mike

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Outboard Alternator

Hmmm....is yours an electric start model? If so, it has a stator on it that can charge your battery. If not, it doesn't have that part.<br /><br />It appears, from the blow-up diagram on ishopmarine.com (go there, click parts lists, then drill down to your model) that you could purchase the stator and rectifier and add this feature.<br /><br />The question I have is why? The outboard doesn't really need the battery to run, and if you have electric start, a normal, charged battery will start the engine dozens of times.<br /><br />If you're talking about keeping a trolling motor battery charged up, the little charging system on this motor won't do much for that job, since it would have to be running all the time and still couldn't keep up with the draw from any decent trolling motor.<br /><br />Anyhow, let us know if it's an electric start model?<br /><br />If you absolutely must add the stator/rectifier system to your outboard, you can get the parts directly from an evinrude/johnson dealer or at the web site listed above or, possibly, even here at iboats.

Blueclaw

Petty Officer 3rd Class

very expensive venture if you don't have an electric start motor. What are you in need of, running lights? they sell battery operated ones that would be a cheap fix.

msammons

Recruit

I do have electric start and have a solar charger on the battery. I had some trouble with my battery and replaced it I just wondered if I had a charging system. It is an electric start but it had been hard starting after shutting it off to sail. I'll see if the new battery fixes the problem and I'll check for stators by the starter.<br />Thanks. This is a new boat to us.<br /><br />MIke

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Start with the basics. Check all your conections to be sure they are clean and tight. Disconnect your solar charger leaving everything else connected. Now check the voltage at the battery. Start the motor (in the water or with muffs) and recheck the voltage. You should see an increase in voltage. If you don't, troubleshoot your charging ciruit starting with the rectifier. They are the first to go, especially if you ever hooked the battery up backwards, even for a split second.