to cover or not?

whatsadixie

Seaman
I keep my boat in my carport and have a cover on it. I was thinking that it may be better to leave the cover off so that it moisture can escape? What do you think? It is a 1985 18' dixie bowrider

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: to cover or not?

It's important that the interior is dry before covering the boat. I open my engine compartment, remove the back seat bench etc...anything to get air flowing to areas that may be damp. Once I'm sure it's dry...then I'll cover it.<br /><br />Walt

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I understand that there is a new type of kitty litter that will absorb the moisture within the area of a covered boat. Just put a tray of the stuff about 1-2 inches deep in the floor of the covered boat. I would guess this would be something you would do when you put it up for the winter. I will try to find out the name of this new litter and post it.

sfels

Seaman Apprentice

A storage cover is a great idea but it's important to have ventilation in the boat too. Take out the cushions etc. and store them somewhere else. Also, it sometimes helps to put osme of those little dehumidifier boxes in the boat (I use the ones that you can replace the crystals in). Remember, boats are designed for water; sealing them too tight to properly air out is how you get mold, mildew and rot inside your boat.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's a product that might be worth investigating - Sta-Dri. I used something similar in closed rooms in our old house without central A/C (in humid central GA noless).<br /><br />I've never used this product, just found it searching the internet.<br /><br />BL...