VRO for 1980 175 Johnson

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer
Good afternoon everyone,<br /><br /> I have a friend that has this motor, Is it possible to instal a VRO on this model?I know VRO's came out in 1984. thanks. J,C, :rolleyes:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: VRO for 1980 175 Johnson

Yes you can install oil injection. The new pumps are a straight 50:1 mix basically.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks verry mutch Dhadley for the quick responce.<br /> I will pass it on to my friend. Have a good day. J,C, ;)

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Dhadley: I have an 82 V6 (J235TLCNE, but badged 175 after complete reman in mid 90s). I premix but it has a oil mixing fuel pump. I know this because I've seen photos and diagrams of the pumps and I recently had to replace a plug/cover that was sealing off the oil intake because it was deteriorating and leaking air.<br /><br />What would it take to convert this engine to VRO? I know I need a tank and some lines, but how about alarms, and other stuff? Is it a straight forward DIY job? How expensive are the parts? I now have both a factory and Seloc manual for this engine.<br /><br />I don't mind premixing that much, but am coming to the school of thought that the risk of messing up premix is greater than an oil injection system failur, especially since I'm hoping my kids will become more independent using the boat.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Personally I prefer the oil injection. The OMS pumps are pretty good. My biggest fear is water in the oil tank. Since I am so aware of it I check it all the time and its never been an issue.<br /><br />You can buy the new injection pump and tank. You may have to spend a little time in the parts book to get the part numbers for any hoses or fuel manifolds. Theres some good info in the dealer accessory catalog telling the dealer what to order.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Oh -- the V6 crossflow has 2 pulse lines, one for each fuel pump. Youll only need one for the oil injection pump. So dont forget to plug up the other hole where the fitting is now.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. As time permits, I'm going to explore the cost of this, especially if I can find a local parts guy who seems to grasp the situation.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Its pretty easy if the parts guy keeps in mind the blocks are the same, the intake & carbs are basically the same -- the way the fuel is pumped is the difference.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Go to ishopmarine.com and look at the fuel pump pages in the parts catalog for your motor and for a 1991 V6 crossflow. Youll see the differences. Pretty simple really. Then at the dealership ask to look in the accessory catalog under VRO replacements.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Back in '84 when the VRO first came out, a lot of folks converted older V-6's to the new oil injection system.<br /><br />There is a difference in crankcases and intake manifold gaskets as there are passageways directly to the 2 center main bearings on the crank on '84 and later blocks. Earlier blocks did not have the passageways and some converted motor eventually developed a whine type sound at high speeds. Tearing apart the motors showed "washboard" races on the mains due to insufficient lubrication. Premix motors did not have that problem.<br /><br />Not every motor that was retrofited had the bearing problem, but enough did so the factory schools mentioned the situation and that is why there has never been a kit for older motors.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Seahorse: A VRO mixes fuel into the carbs, not the block. A VRO is premix, you just don't have to do it.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The internal passages in the '84 and later blocks, the ones that came equipped with VRO, route some of the fuel:eek:il mixture to the main bearings directly thru drilled holes in the cylinder half, where the earlier pre-VRO blocks just used recirculated fuel mix with a different plumbing setup.<br /><br />I definitely know how the VRO works (read my old posts), but am explaining the differences in the engine blocks.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Did'nt the fuel, oil, go thru the carb first on both systems?