prop question

roger fernandez

Seaman Apprentice
I have a rebuilt 1995 150-hp Johnson looper on my 19' Ana Capri and I currently have a 14-1/2 x 19' prop on it and I am getting 5200-rpm's at WOT.<br /><br />My question is:<br /><br />1. Do I have the correct size prop for that motor?<br /><br />2. I'm I getting the right rpm's at WOT.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any replies.<br /><br />Roger

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: prop question

5200 is pretty low for that motor. At that rpm youre lugging it and thats not good. I'd say the pitch is probably close but the set up needs some attention.<br /><br />What brand / style prop is it? have you tried raising the motor any?

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Roger, obviously you are new to the board. You have the best man on here asking you the questions.<br /><br />
What brand / style prop is it? have you tried raising the motor any?

roger fernandez

Seaman Apprentice

Dhadley, my apologies, because I should have been a little more informative about my questions.<br /><br />When I first bought the motor last Dicember, with the same pitch that I currently have right now and the same set up, the motor was reaching 6000-rpm, then the fuel pump went bad and the dealer replaced it apparently with a used one and after that it wouldn't go past the 5200-rpms.<br /><br />I now that it wouldn't sound like its a prop problem since it use to go up to 6000-rpm, but I just want it to know anyways if I just had the right prop for that motor.<br /><br />Do you have any idea what the problem could be.<br /><br />Thanks!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I think youre right -- something sure sounds crazy if the rpm loss was after a pump replacement. Like I said, I would think the 19 would be correct.<br /><br />Is this the same prop that used to turn 6000 or another prop?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Interesting. I've been trying to think of what they could have messed with when they changed the pump. They did have to take the carb cover off so possibly the linkage could have been accidently moved or adjusted.<br /><br />If you squeeze the bulb at wot, does the motor gain rpm?

roger fernandez

Seaman Apprentice

Dhadley, I didn't think of that. I am planning on going fishing saturday morning, I will try aqueezing the bulb and see what happens. I will post the results saturday or sunday to let you know what happen.<br /><br />Thanks alot for your inputs.<br /><br />Talk to you later.<br /><br />Roger.

roger fernandez

Seaman Apprentice

Dhadley, I finally was able to take the boat out this weekend and did what you advised me to do to squeeze the bulb at WOT to see if it would gain rpm, but it did not.<br /><br />What else you think might be the problem here, could it be the used gas pump they installed when the other one broke?, maybe a gas leak in one of the hoses?<br /><br />Any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks, Roger.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'd have them look it over pretty good. They must have moved or changed something if it ran 6000 before the pump was changed. What makes you think it was a used pump?<br /><br />One other thing -- was the motor sitting since last December? If so the carbs may need some attention. Like a good bath and kits.

roger fernandez

Seaman Apprentice

actually I have ran the motor once a month since I picked it up from them back in Dicember.<br /><br />I will remove the cowling and look for anything out of the ordinary like a gas leak out of any of the hoses, also change the prime bulb and spark plugs, spray some carburator cleaner on the carbs and inspect the fuel filter and water separator and try it out again and se what happens.<br /><br />Will keep you posted on the mystery.<br /><br />Thanks for your replies.<br /><br />Roger