72 Johnson 50 hp hesitation on plane and sputters at high end

pbookey

Cadet
Hi all,<br />I have a 72 johnson 50 hp that I bought a week ago. I put it in the water with old gas and it ran great, no problems. Several things happened that lead to a problem that I've been unable to solve. I was out on the water, and the tank of old gas ran out, so i went to switch the tank to a fresh one of 87 octane at 50:1 with TC-W3 oil. Somehow i put the connector on wrong and mashed the ball valve so it sealed up the gas line when connected to the tank. The motor tried to run like this with remaining gas in the line, sucking on a vacuum. So i got towed in, bought a new connector and hooked it up. Engine started and idled fine. Now if I try to accelerate, she hesitates and takes forever to plane. There is also some major vibration accompanying the hesitation. There is a sweet spot in the throttle that engine likes and runs smooth but if i push to WOT, she sputters and loses power and vibration returns. I checked the new connector for air leaks and replaced the fuel pump. Still a problem. Now i don't know where to go from here. <br /><br />Basically the problems occured after:<br />1. screwing up the connection engine pulling vacuum in fuel line until it died of course<br />2. new fuel<br /><br />Other than that, I have no idea what could have caused the change. Any ideas/solutions? <br /><br />Thanks, Pat

pbookey

Cadet
Re: 72 Johnson 50 hp hesitation on plane and sputters at high end

nevermind guys, figured out the problem. Dont' know why i didn't see it before. The wire linkage to the automatic choke got caught on the butterfly linkage to the carbs so when carbs opened up they pulled on the wire and closed the choke.