Spun hub or more sinister?

parsleap

Seaman Apprentice
The 150HP 1993 PRO-V Yamaha on my Ranger connected with a 'dead-head' an underwater tree, in an idle zone. There was a pretty loud bang, and I was startled, but the motor seemed to keep going OK. W<br /><br />When I got to the fast side and throttled down, the boat accelerated, then rev'd up high and lost power. I Stopped, looked at prop and lower unit, all looked well. Went again, same problem.<br /><br />I discovered that if I gradually throttled down, that I could achieve plane and even top speed, no problem. However, if I still tried to hammer it out of the hole, it would rev up and have almost no power. <br /><br />I've spun a hub before on an older boat I had, and this seemed to be a classic case. I continued to run for a few months, just with terrible hole shot, just figuring the prop hub was getting worse and worse. <br /><br />Finally got the prop sent off last week. Just got word back from the shop who sent the prop in that nothing was wrong with the hub, and I thought for sure that would be the case. I don't have a spare that I could test with or I would. What's worse is that I'm supposed to go on Vacation with the boat tomorrow!! Am I looking at a drive shaft problem? Splines from prop and shaft look A-OK. <br /><br />Any ideas? Welcoming input,<br />AP

parsleap

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Spun hub or more sinister?

Have just read about the 'line trick' to see if the hub moves in relation to the main prop. Will see if that is telling or not.<br /><br />Engine and drive both sound fine, so I'm really hoping that it's going to be a spun hub that couldn't be detected. In looking at the hub I have, there is no real visible 'rubber sleave' or anything. Is there a type of prop out there that doesn't use a hub that can be rebuilt?

fast_c_class

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it sounds as if you have a hub system that is similar to (or is) mercurys "torque flow" hub as they call it. do a search on the net for it, youll see if thats what you have. its a hard plastic hub that drops right into the prop. in that case you could fix the hub yourself with just a trip to the dealer for the hub.<br /><br />the only props that dont use hubs old props that used shear pins, or racing props where the spline is cut right into the stainless, i doubt you have either one.<br /><br />btw this should probably be in the yammie forum or other<br /><br />sometimes when you spin rubber hubs they will heat up and melt to the metal, this is usually good enough to get you back to the ramp. <br /><br />if you splines or gears were stripped, you would definetly know they were.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Beings the pro-V is a Yammy, and a spun prop is Outboard, non-repair, let's move it there....