year model and timing adjustment qquestion

tmatsoukas

Cadet
Working on next door neighbors 115 johnson model j115tlcnb ser j5592543 what year? and why would the idle screw be all the way in? ( out ), timing off? he complains it runs great in the driveway but he can't keep it running when shifting to forward or reverse. TIA Tom

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: year model and timing adjustment qquestion

1982<br /><br />Are you talking about the idle stop screw in the throttle arm? If its screwed all the way in its because the motor has a weak idle for some reason and someone has screwed that all the way in to try and keep it running.<br /><br />Start with a compression test.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

1982 model, and the motor's will often run fine in the yard, but throw 'em in the water and put them in gear and they go kaput.<br /><br />you need a tach hooked up and boat in the water in gear to set the idle correctly (650 rpm). The timing's another beast, cause you need to run in a tank with a test wheel to set spark advance correctly.<br /><br />BOOYAH! got beat out! listen to Dhadley before you listen to me!

tmatsoukas

Cadet

yes i am talking about the idle adjustment screw in the throttle arm. comp is 105 to 115 no low cyl's idles well, runs up, unloaded in the driveway? is there a base line setting for timing and idle screws? Thanks again Tom<br /><br />hope that didnt offend you Mike he just answered first Tom

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

just don't rev to high in the yard, you need most adjustments made in a tank or on the lake because you need the backpressure to set things correctly.

tmatsoukas

Cadet

Ok , i'll send him to get a manual and force a day on the river out of it. Tom

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thats a bit low but not bad. If youre sure the carbs are clean (clean them even if you think they might need it) then do a decarb. Especially if the motor has been sitting or was set up in the mid to low 5000 range.<br /><br />Is the fuel less than 30 days old? What spark plugs are you using?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ha, I cant believe I type faster than anybody! Lol!!

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

I beat out Paul Moir yesterday, I could sense his frustration! :) <br /><br />Don't worry Tom, I can't afford to get offended by the Fleet Admiral, unless I want to be swabbing decks for a month!