replace impeller on 8 hp Johnson J8SRL

tflaggcc

Cadet
My 1984 sailmaster 8 (extra long shaft) has recently started not to pump cooling water. I was testing the engine in a 55 gallon drum when the indicator stream first started to get hot, then started sputtering, then turned to steam. I stopped the engine and now want to troubleshoot.<br /><br />I would like to inspect/replace the impeller for the water pump.<br /><br />Is this a big deal to undertake?<br />Is there a resource for procedures / schematics?<br /><br />I would appreciate any guidance available.<br /><br />Timbo

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: replace impeller on 8 hp Johnson J8SRL

The best resource is a service manual which covers your engine. The OEM ones are best, but really expensive. For simple things like an impeller change, I find the Seloc manual to be adequate. You can buy that right here on iboats. Just click Manuals at the top of any page.

tflaggcc

Cadet

Thanks for your reply<br /><br />Subsequent to my posting I looked up some previous forums and saw that the repair manual was often recommended. I did find the SELOC manual on the IBOATS web page and will go ahead and order one. <br /><br />Can you tell me about the procedure? Is it simple enough to undertake or must I wait for the manual?<br /><br />Timbo

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

You'll find the OEM manual to be the best investment you'll make in that motor. You will only learn this after buying aftermarket manuals and searching for the info you need. Your motor is 21 years old and ready for the real problems that you won't solve with the generic manuals. If your that bent on saving $20 look on e bay for a used factory manual. iboats is however a great and reliable source for parts and accesories.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you've never done this before, I'd recommend you go with the OEM manual, which I found quite good when I replaced the water pump on my 4HP Deluxe. <br /><br />Because of the motor's age I'd also get a water pump repair kit and not just the impeller, the cost of the repair kit will run you about an additional $20 and with an OEM pump repair kit you'll get new gaskets, O-ring, etc. as well as additional directions.