225 'Rude frustration

kingairpilot

Recruit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> <br />OK, This is driving me nuts. The boat is comming along well, cleaning up real nice and is solid. The problem is that damn thing on the back. The 225 rude with unknown hours on it is acting up, out and generally being a pain in the a**. It runs well enough most of the time...BUT...sometimes it will sputter, and bog down above 3000 RPM. I know you guys are thinking fuel or carbs at this point but this is where it gets strange. When this happens, shutting down the engine and re-starting will clear up the problem for an as yet un-determined length of time. I haven't had the boat long enough to do a whole lot of testing and recordkeeping but I am puzzeled.<br /><br />Have any of you experienced anything like this? I hate to take it to the shop cuz at $80 per hr, diagnostics add up real quick.<br /><br />Thanks all <br />ka

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 225 'Rude frustration

Sounds like you may have a sticking float in one of the carbs, ka.<br /><br />Good luck, and welcome aboard. :)

kingairpilot

Recruit

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Sounds like you may have a sticking float in one of the carbs, ka.<br /><br />Good luck, and welcome aboard. :)
If it is a sticking float, why would the problem go away when I shut down and restart? THAT is what has me puzzled.<br /><br />Also, being new to outboards, how strong should the cooling stream be at idle? My Father-in-law's Honda 4stroke is quite strong...my 'rude just kind of spurts at idle...strong at WOT<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />ka

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets start at the begining...is it a 225 or 235? Very different animals.

kingairpilot

Recruit

Sorry...225. Either I can't type or I had motor envy. 225 'rude of unknown hours. I forget the exact year right now. Don't have the paperwork in front of me.<br /><br />Thanks for the help<br /><br />ka

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could it be your S.L.O.W. system kicking it due to overheating?

txswinner

Banned

I had a similar problem years ago and found vent problem on fuel tank. Make sure vent is clear, something dangling in the tank at the vent can partially cover and cause fuel stavation.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Obviously youve not ran many crossflows. Lol!! Trust me, between a 235 and your 225 looper you have a much better motor.<br /><br />OK, lets get the model number so we know which electronic package we're working with.