do you keep oars onboard?

blindman

Recruit
I am new to boating and have a 16 bayliner capri w/90hp mercury. I have heard that there is no reason to keep oars in my boat because you won't be able to move it. Is this true or should I get a pair?

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: do you keep oars onboard?

Well if your alone you might have difficulty. But having paddled home several times<br />in a similar boat... it can be done.

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A pair would be a good idea. (especially with two or more people onboard) Most people carry at least ONE, which I believe is a Coast Guard Requirement.

martinwinte

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Carry at LEAST one (the one time you grab it to use the boat hook end will make up for the space and little money they take up). They can get you home (or back into the shallow, branch ridden fishing hole quitely), also if a boater sees you rowing home, they KNOW you are having engine problems and hopefully will offer a tow.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yes you need at least one oar, if for no other reason to pummel the dope who won't help row when the time comes. Seriously, get one with a boat hook handle...very handy. Then buy a good used 3 to 7.5 hp outboard as a kicker (backup). Much handier than rowing, and a good excuse to get another smaller boat (wink, wink...but honey, I really need one).

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One paddle or oar to manually power boat - required by law (Coast Guard and State Dept of Safety)....NO?

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i've never heard the OAr thing... but then again I do always have a 2nd motor also.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

From my Coast Guard Aux, boat inspection, Boats 16 feet and under must have an alternate means of propulsion. IE a oar or paddle. When I had mine inspected (25' Pontoon boat) they still wanted to see a paddle. How the He** you would paddle a 25' pontoon boat I do not know, but then again the wanted to see the blower fan working, and my bailing bucket. Oh how do you bail a pontoon boat???

blindman

Recruit

Thanks for everyones info. I already went and got a pair of oars. Hopefully won't have to use them anytime soon. :D