Lost ignition key/40 hpr 1963 Evinrude

The ignition switch has about 6 terminals. 2 wires are connected to 1 terminal & each of the remaining terminals have 1 wire. The battery is new. This boat lives on an Island way out in Georgian Bay. <br /><br />When I touch a wire to the main terminal of the ignition switch and to a terminal over 2 to the right, the motor turns over strongly. However; there is NO spark at the plugs.<br /><br />I suspect I need to use a second wire. If so, to what terminals??<br /><br />Please help.

Walker

Captain
Re: Lost ignition key/40 hpr 1963 Evinrude

1963, I could be wrong but I think your ignition system is always in the "on" mode. All the key switch does is open the kill circuit and energize the starter. There is a kill circuit that the key switch closes the circuit when the switch is turned off. Find that wire/circuit and open it and I believe your motor will fire. If I'm wrong I'm sure Paul or some other older motor guru will speak up.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Look directly at the area where the key would be inserted. There is a number there. What is it? One of us may have a key we could send you but we need that number.<br /><br />The ignition switch terminals are marked, probably as "B", "A", "C", "S", "M", and another "M".<br /><br />What are the colors of the wires that attach to the switch?<br /><br />The engine has a magneto ignition system. Do Not apply battery voltage to any part of that magneto.

Thanks for the information. It will be about 2 weeks before I can have a close look at the switch. If it's OK with you, I'll email you then with facts.