Evinrude 90hp outboard

Nitro_Brad

Cadet
I am considering purchasing a pontoon boat with a 1998 Evinrude 90hp. motor. The motor had not been cranked in over a year until last week when I fired it up. It took several turns and a lot of smoke but it finally fired and ran really well. Should I be concerned that the motor has sat for over a year without running?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Evinrude 90hp outboard

The smoke may well indicate that it was stored properly, complete with fogging the cylinders. Did you run it with the boat? How did it perform on the water? <br /><br />Did it idle well and come up to wide open throttle (WOT) fine? If so, you shouldn't worry too much.<br /><br />You'll want to find out when the water pump was serviced last. If it's been more than about two years, then that should be your first service step. Also, make sure you get rid of any old fuel in the tanks and replace it with fresh. Old fuel is a sure way to have lousy running.<br /><br />As for it sitting for a year....my ancient Johnson 35 hp sat for over five, and it's just fine.

Nitro_Brad

Cadet

I did run the boat and it did awesome. Everything seemed fine, idle, etc. I was just concerned about the cylinders, valves, etc. thanks for the reply!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This is a two-stroke engine so it has no valves (unless you consider reed valves a traditional valve). The key item to keep an eye on is whether or not the VRO system is operational. This system automatically mixes oil from a separate tank with the fuel. If this system has been disabled or removed, a 50:1 fuel mix must be used. As was suggested, replace the water pump impeller (or preferably, the entire pump) and change lower unit lub. If water is evident, the lower unit seals need to be replaced.