GPS suggestions

binduni

Cadet
OK, I admit, I'm a gadget guy.... but it sounds so useful to be able to have a moving map of highways, hiking trails and so on. What I really would like to find is a unit that will also have water ways with depths and chart info. Does anyone have any suggestions for a handheld unit? I hear Garmin is the best, but what unit and what other add-ons would I need?<br />Thanks in advance! :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: GPS suggestions

Howdy PM. <br /><br />Sounds like you want a Garmin 76MAP or 176MAP.<br /><br />Go to www.garmin.com to look them over.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, my wife sells GPS units, and the GPSMAP76 sells more than all of the other makes/brands combined. <br /><br />You are just barely too late to get a $50 rebate, for the GPSMAP76 and a chart software package.<br /><br />I personally use the Bluechart, and it is so accurate in a lot of waters you hardly need a depthfinder. In fact, I have found to be more accurate than the channel markers are, in the Chincoteague area.

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just bought a nice cheap magellan for 99$ at bimart and I will only upgrade from there... That 99% has saved my life more then once, being out in the big blue and having the fog blow in, it took me right back to the dock with no problems. I couldn't even see the jetties when I came inbetween them. <br /><br />The cheap one's are so cheap, that there really is no excuse to Not have one.. esepecially when it comes to boating.. <br /><br />That one day with the fog, I think I made 7 or 8 special trips back to the docks leading people in who di dn't have a clue where they were going.... I LOVE MY GPS!<br />dave

marty_scher

Petty Officer 1st Class

lepper<br /><br />I agree on the cheapies.<br /><br />I got a great deal on a Magellan map 330, power/pc cord and map software for $150 (after rebate) at Sam's club.<br /><br />It dosen't do charts, but will show shorelines and islands in the mountain lakes I fish. I use printed lake maps to create trolling routes, that the GPS will track.<br /><br />The best part on any boat, is you have a very accurate speedometer, for trolling, etc. The speedo on my new Lowe is nearly useless.<br /><br />Big bux or little bux, a GPS is a useful item on any boat.