1988 48HP Evinrude clanging sound-timing plate bushing HELP! (pictures)

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I need some help, working on a Evinrude 1988 48HP SPL. I removed the flywheel to see where the clanging sound was coming from, and found the timing advance plate brass/bronze bushing is very worn, (see pictures). Can this bushing be replaced or will I need to buy the whole timing plate? <br />Any help on where to buy these parts online would be very helpful, my local dealer is slow about getting parts ordered. <br />
is.php
<br />
is.php
<br />
is.php
is.php

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 48HP Evinrude clanging sound-timing plate bushing HELP! (pictures)

help

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info, that's a very good link with exploded views and part numbers.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

When you find a new plate, use loc-tite on the anchor screws. I would say that the wear you are looking at is more from vibration than rotational wear, that is, the anchor screws were probably loose. Because of the wear on the crankcase boss, you will probably still have some play, even with a new plate. Use moly-lube when you install the new plate.

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I found a NOS one on Ebay for $24.95 plus shipping.<br />Red or blue loc-tite?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I use gel-seal on the screws. the upper bearing is also the part sticking out of the crankcase. with it worn it will wear out another plate. also looking at the crank taper in the pic you really need to lap the flywheel tapers again. or at a minimum check them. to repair the upper bearing will require the block to be split.

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, if I measure the upper bearing with a dial caliper and it not out of round do you think it would be Okay?