1959 Johnson Sea Horse 5 1/2 HP project.

I am looking to start a new project where I am going to totally refurbish a 1959 Johnson Sea Horse 5 1/2 H.P. outboard that was purchased new by my Grandfather. I am wondering if there is a good place to seek parts? I want to do a complete rebuild so it will be reliable enough for me and my dad to use it again. Please post your suggestions.<br /><br />Thanks, Wayne.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 1959 Johnson Sea Horse 5 1/2 HP project.

Sounds like a very nice project. There's a very good chance that you may not have to do all that much work to this engine to make it a reliable runner. Those are solid old outboards and often are mechanically sound as found.<br /><br />You should start by checking the compression on both cylinders. If it's over about 70 and even between the cylinders, that's a good thing.<br /><br />While the sparkplugs are out, you can check it for spark on both cylinders as well. If both have spark, you're two-thirds of the way home.<br /><br />You are going to want to change the water pump impeller and disassemble and clean the carburetor, though, before putting this engine back in service.<br /><br />The impeller, plus electrical and carb parts are available, most easily through your local NAPA auto parts dealer. You'll need the model number from your motor to help you get the right parts.<br /><br />You'll also want some sort of service manual before digging into jobs like impeller replacement. You can find original workshop manuals at places like marineengines.com, and aftermarket manuals from Seloc and Clymer. eBay is also a good place to look for manuals and other parts.<br /><br />Cosmetics are another matter. I'm not sure whether the original paint is still available, nor the decals. You might have to hunt for that stuff on Google. Lots of people are restoring old outboards, but most of the replica stuff is being made for pre-WWII models.<br /><br />Take your time on all of this. Ask specific questions here. There are lots of folks on this forum who know that outboard model.

Thanks CaTransplant. <br /><br />I am waiting on some e-mails to return and then I will get started. I am going to have to open the block to replace the rings and bearings I think as it is somewhat stiff to turn the flywheel and almost "gritty" sounding. I will keep you informed as to how things are going but thanks again, Wayne.

CATransplant

Admiral

Could be, I suppose. Too bad. Best of luck on finding the parts for that. It may take you a bit of time.<br /><br />You might check eBay and find a good powerhead.

CATransplant

Admiral

Could be, I suppose. Too bad. Best of luck on finding the parts for that. It may take you a bit of time.<br /><br />You might check eBay and find a good powerhead.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Rings can be had here:<br />nymarine.ca/parts.html<br />But if the bearings have gone rusty, the most finacially responsible thing to do is to find a used donor engine.<br />Tell us what you find in there.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Incidently - there are no steel bearings in that motor - they're all bronze babbit type and are not replaceable as such. The steel of the crankshaft or wrist pins can rust, though, and give the issue you note. Best to check it just in case - I'd hate to see a rod come out the side of the crankcase due to rough bearing surfaces.<br /><br />Be sure to use a mix of 24:1 using good quality TCW3 oil when you get her going again. Have fun with it - it's a great old motor!<br />- Scott