'85 30 hp Evinrude thermostat Q?

rfcoop

Recruit
re: Mod. E30RCO 1985 Evinrude 30hp<br />I think the thermostat in this motor might be stuck open. Is there any way of knowing or checking for this without taking off the head plate? It idles pretty rough and coughs now and then and I've checked everything else: compression, decarbed, new plugs, sync, cleaned carb and adjusted, inspected reeds through carb manifold. I just bought this motor so I'm not familiar with how hot the exhaust should be or other engine parts after warm up. Thanks, Rick

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: '85 30 hp Evinrude thermostat Q?

Welcome Rick!<br /><br />Easy enough to check. Just run the engine out of gear at idle for a while and feel the cover plate. If it's still cold to the touch, t-stat is likely stuck open. Your engine uses a 143* t-stat. So, at idle the engine should warm up. On top and just forward of the head is little flat place. After the engine is warm....you should be able to put your fingers there for several seconds before having to remove them. This is about the right temp for the engine. Yeah I know.....the cover plate is a pain to take off and put on.

rfcoop

Recruit
Re: '85 30 hp Evinrude thermostat Q?

Thanks for your suggestion. You're right, I'm not too anxious to take off the head plate if I don't have too, but it looks like that's what I'm going to be doing as it stays cold. I'm looking for a good internet suplier of Evinrude parts as the only place around here is about 45min away and their prices are not "friendly", plus the gas is worth the frieght. Any suggestions? Thanks, Rick