Motor looses power

tjkgolf

Recruit
I believe my motor is a 92 Evinrude 60 hp. I bought it two months ago and have had nothing but problems. Just got it back from repairs and they fixed the starting problem, which I didn't even complain about, but not my main problem. I get the boat started and get going full speed, about 35 mph, 5,500 rpm. Suddenly the rpm's drop to 2,800 and the speed goes down to about 15 mph if that. Any suggestions? I am new to outboards.

tjkgolf

Recruit
Re: Motor looses power

The boat runs full speed for only maybe 1/4-1/2 mile if that helps any.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

could be a number of things, sounds like it might be dropping a cylinder though.

tjkgolf

Recruit

When the place I bought it from did a compression check the first time I took it back, all 3 were around 110 I believe.

fireman57

Captain

When mikey talks about a dropped cylinder he means that you have lost spark to it. When it slows down pull one plug wire at a time and see if your rpms change. If they drop that is good, if they do not change then you are getting no spark to that cylinder and it is not making power for you. Make sure that you use very well insulated pliers or you may get zapped. Best is you drive the boat and use a real good buddy for this job. When you find which cylinder is not getting spark then check your coils/powerpack. Get a good OEM manual, may be one on ebay, and it will save you a ton of time and money.