Late 60's 40hp Seahorse

Bryan22

Seaman Apprentice
On another note as long as I am in front of the computer.... My neighbor has a later 60's Johnson Seahorse, the number 307770 is on the bottom engine housing near where the hood latch is.<br /><br />Idling along it moves ok, you go to accelerate and the motor just winds up and it is like the prop is disengaging, like something in the drive line is moving upon moving the throttle, as soon as you do that you lose "traction." I remember years ago hearing of a fella talk about something like this and it was a pretty simple thing but cannot remember the details of what it was...<br /><br />Any thoughts?<br /><br />Thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Late 60's 40hp Seahorse

Most likely the problem is with the rubber bushing inside the propeller. Some people don't even know it's there. Mark a line from the hub of the prop (where the drive pin goes through) to the outside part with the blades. Go for a spin, and then see if the marks still line up.<br /><br />If there was something wrong with the drive train, you would likely hear horrible noises when it slipped.<br /><br />PS - the model number should be on the swivel bracket just above & between the transom clamps.

Bryan22

Seaman Apprentice

I will go over a we will take a look at it. Is the prop moving on the shaft then and the bushing takes out that movement?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yes. It's pressed between the hub and the blade part so it'll absorb shocks of the prop hits anything. They've been on Johnson/Evinrude engines since the fourties or so. If it's bad enough, you'll be able to turn the prop while someone holds the flywheel (in gear, naturally). <br />The solution to the problem is to have the propeller repaired or (more likely) replace the prop.

Bryan22

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, so it not something that can be replaced on that prop. A person can put a new piece of rubber or something compatable in there then eh?

Paul Moir

Admiral

It's a job for the prop shop. A new rubber bushing has to be pressed in with a largish hydraulic press and some jigs to hold the prop and hub. One Iboats member cast his in place out of RTV rubber. I think it worked out for him too. But usually the prop has enough dings and such to warrant a new one anyway.

denislajoie

Seaman

If it is electric Shift, its might be the improper oil in the lower unit, you must use synthetic oil in these or the clutches will slip, if it works in reverse but not forward, most likely its a coil i just finished fixing mine, the windings from the coil were in the bottom of the foot, hopefully its not a coil but a wire thet got brittle and broke in the unit but whatever it may be on a electric shift, if its the coils it can get very costly, good luck

Paul Moir

Admiral

Thanks Denis, I overlooked that! <br />Proper gear lube for electric shifts is OMC/BRP "Premium Grade" gearcase lube.<br /><br />Still can't place that hole though...

Bryan22

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks fella's:<br /><br />And nope, this is an old lever action shift.<br /><br />Bryan22