Interesting flywheel situation on newly aquired 56 'rude Fastwin 15 hp

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
The other day I aquired yet another omc, a 56 Evinrude Fastwin 15 hp electric start motor. It would not turn, but some pb blaster in the cylinders through the sparkplug holes took care of that. I pulled the flywheel to check the coil/points situation, and the cam that the points ride on was cracked. I had another one, so I put it on, and when I did, the flywheel no longer went all the way on, there was slop. I made sure the cam was all the way on, same deal. In the end, I took 1/8th inch material off of the height of the cam, and the flywheel would then go on, but I am quite sure that should not have been the solution. I have the feeling the other one was cracked because of this. Anyone who has any insight as to why this would happen would be very helpful. I have not yet attempted to start it.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Interesting flywheel situation on newly aquired 56 'rude Fastwin 15 hp

I've only heard of that happening. I'm not quite sure what causes it but I think it might be from overtorquing the flywheel nut causing the flywheel hub to spread. Or applying anti-seize to the taper. Does the flywheel seem to sit lower than it should? Did you inspect the hub for cracks?<br /><br />I always clean the taper with acetone before torquing down the flywheel. I know it's excessive, but I like to try to do things right.<br /><br />If I were you, I would have a close look at that hub, and verify you have some clearance between the two by employing clay/play-doh before torquing it down.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

It turns freely when installed and torqued, but it does set lower. That was why I had to take material off of the cam, so the tapers would be in contact again. I did take a bit of material off of the tops of the coils, they looked awful close when looking through the points adjustment hole on the flywheel. I guess I'll find out when I get it running. I hope the thing doesn't fly apart and put someones eye out.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Pull the flywheel, and take a look at the cast in steel hub. See if it is cracked down the side. If it is, that could be from someone putting it on with an impact wrench.