Tiller throttle stuck "off"on 5.5 hp Johnson

rjchudek

Recruit
I inherited a 1956 (CD-13) 5.5 hp Johnson that has not been used for 20+ years. The twist handle on the tiller will not turn, it is locked in the "stop" position. :( <br /><br />When I remove the throttle grip, the entire gear train rotates fine. :) It appears the problem is within the throttle grip itself.<br /><br />How is this trottle/tiller supposed to work? :confused: My Seloc repair manual does not illustrate the tiller handle!<br /><br />When I look at the wear pattern around the speed indicator collar, it appears I should be able to pull the grip out from the locked position and then rotate it to the start position. The grip will not "pull out".<br /><br />Going on this assumption, the metal insert inside the grip appears to be seized. So I soaked the plastic handle in liquid wrench overnight. The grip still does not budge.<br /><br />I would replace the grip and metal insert but the marine dealer said the plastic handle was not available. He could order the metal insert!<br /><br />TIA for any insight!<br /><br />RJC

rjchudek

Recruit
Re: Tiller throttle stuck "off"on 5.5 hp Johnson

Here's the throttle stuck "off" update.<br /><br />I went to Twin City Outboard in Shakopee, MN http://www.twincityoutboard.com/ and purchased a used black handle. Indeed the parts inside my handle were ceased and would not rotate. The replacement works fine and the grip does not need to be either pushed or pulled when rotating from the stop position.<br /><br />RJC

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Tiller throttle stuck "off"on 5.5 hp Johnson

There ya go! Twin City Outboard is da place if you have an old outboard that needs a part. We're lucky to live nearby.